Towing Questions - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Vulcan Rider

Towing Questions

Good Afternoon All,
My name is Brian and I am new to the forum, but not to riding. I have been riding for about 16 years and have found myself with a new question which I can not find an answer too. I have a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600. I have rode it everywhere. This year I purchased a camper and said it sure would be great to take my bike with me to destinations. My dilemma is putting it in my truck. My first question is what ramps do you guys recommend. I saw on discountramps.com a calculator and it recommended a 14ft long ramp, WOW!. Secondly do you guys use the tie down loops made into the bed, or are they not strong enough? The last thing I want is to have my bike rip one from the bed and fall over. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brian

Brave men don't slay dragons, they ride them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Politicians' Nightmare
BTK Expert

The Vulcan 1600 is a rather heavy bike and the longer the ramp the easier it is to load a bike. The shorter the ramp the more muscle it takes, unless one wants to take a crack at running the bike up the ramp under its own power, which can be risky unless the ramp is rather wide and the rider makes a quick shot of loading and doesn't make any mistakes.. I've used a 14 foot ramp to load my VN900, a much lighter bike. Also a longer ramp in my experience makes unloading easier and safer. Although the ramp I've used isn't collapsible it may be possible to find a ramp which is.

Jim
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 PM
BTK Expert

This might help.

The BikeBandit Blog | How to Load a Motorcycle Onto a Truck

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Vulcan Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
The Vulcan 1600 is a rather heavy bike and the longer the ramp the easier it is to load a bike. The shorter the ramp the more muscle it takes, unless one wants to take a crack at running the bike up the ramp under its own power, which can be risky unless the ramp is rather wide and the rider makes a quick shot of loading and doesn't make any mistakes.. I've used a 14 foot ramp to load my VN900, a much lighter bike. Also a longer ramp in my experience makes unloading easier and safer. Although the ramp I've used isn't collapsible it may be possible to find a ramp which is.
Thank you, I have seen some ramps collapsible in the 14ft range. As you can imagine I only want to buy a ramp once so That is the direction I am leaning. the hard part is my 1600 is at 4" base height so definitely don't want to take a quick run up a short ramp to stop hard at the top bottoming out. Thanks I will probably be going the 14ft route. Do you use your beds tie down loops or did you add your own?

Thanks again,
Brian

Brave men don't slay dragons, they ride them!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Politicians' Nightmare
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanB View Post
Thank you, I have seen some ramps collapsible in the 14ft range. As you can imagine I only want to buy a ramp once so That is the direction I am leaning. the hard part is my 1600 is at 4" base height so definitely don't want to take a quick run up a short ramp to stop hard at the top bottoming out. Thanks I will probably be going the 14ft route. Do you use your beds tie down loops or did you add your own?

Thanks again,
Brian
I've used existing tie-down loops, but as my bike is a 900 it's much lighter than a 1600. Your concern about bottoming out is a good one - my 900 has the design fault of zerk fittings at the lowest part of the bike and the first time I unloaded it the zerks hit bottom at the point where the ramp and the bed intersect because I was sitting on the bike. Fortunately none of my zerks broke off, but other riders have had them break off. RoadRunner322's post has a very useful link to a good solution. Good luck - it's easy to have an accident while loading and unloading.

Jim
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:19 PM
BTK Intermediate

Buy a Yamaha 125cc scooter, I am not joking, I have one and they are a blast to ride and can easily fit on your truck.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:46 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsim View Post
Buy a Yamaha 125cc scooter, I am not joking, I have one and they are a blast to ride and can easily fit on your truck.
A friend in MI has one and loves it. He used to be a wild man on motorcycles and after almost killing himself many times, he won't ride anything more powerful than a scooter now.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsim View Post
I agree. I've got one an it's a blast. Perfect for these scenarios.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 12:33 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner322 View Post
A great video! Two thumbs up... I have a tri-fold ramp which unfortunately doesn't have a hump and when loading my lawn tractor into my truck, the lawn tractor hangs. At least with the tri-fold ramp, it is the width of my bed and I can get my big rear end off the thing and coax it over the hump.

I have always found a single ramp ride-up terrifying as I have imagined all the fails that I saw on the video. I live on a very hilly property and one advantage is being able to park the truck about where the bike comes off flat.

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 AM

Buy a Yamaha 125cc scooter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page