Getting back on my bike - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Getting back on my bike

So it has been about 2 years since I've ridden my bike. I have a 2007 Mean Streak. I got pregnant (yay!), had baby #1 then got pregnant and had baby #2 (oops! Haha!) I love my babies but I'm ready to ride.

Unfortunately my bike has been sitting I'm our garage for pretty much the whole time. I think it may have been ridden 4 whole times in that span. I know it needs to get some work done after sitting.

Besides an oil change, what should I expect or request?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Check tires for dry rot, weather cracks between treads. Also drain old gas, use fuel system cleaner with new gas. If any problems with running rough etc, may need fuel injectors/throttle body pulled and cleaned, good luck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Welcome back! I had a much longer layoff when young with a family, about 15 yrs!

I'd start with basic maintenance outlined in your owners manual. Don't attempt to start he bike yet. I'm not too sure of the particulars so some searching on your part will be necessary:

- remove the battery and charge it. I prefer a slow charge like a battery tender jr but any charge will do for now. Be prepared to buy a new battery if applicable.
- change the engine oil & filter. Does your Mean Streak have the oil screen? My '04 1500 did. Clean it if applicable.
- drive system- belt, chain or shaft? Do what applies, inspect/clean/lube as applies.
- replace brake fluids and if you have a hydraulic clutch replace that fluid too. Make sure the front & rear brakes work!

- tires- inspect & air up now. If there's a little cracking on the sides don't worry about it. In a week check pressure again, if any is lost replace the tire.
- check pivot points like clutch & brake levers and shift/brake levers, lube as needed. Don't want any surprises there.

- the biggie- fuel tank. Remove, empty and clean. Refill with non-alcohol gas and fuel treatment. There are many to choose from. I prefer Berryman's B-12 or Star Tron.

- put the bike in neutral and roll it. Make sure the clutch plates are stuck together. Don't want a bike lurch when you start it up.

Now attempt to start it. We'll deal with other things from there. Best of luck, be safe out there!!

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:05 PM
BTK Expert

I would also disable the engine and spin it on the starter for a bit to get oil into the cam bearings, etc, before firing it up.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page