Turn signal problems - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Turn signal problems

Hey guys looking for some trouble shooting advice for 1978 kz650 sr. My left turn signal only works intermittently. I checked out front and back light bulbs and they are good. As is the indicator bulb. I noticed the left indicator bulb socket seems to be floating higher than it should. I took it out of the tree and it seems to be ok, but I’m convinced that is my problem. Any other things I should check out? And if I can get a used harness should I just replace it? Found one on eBay for less than $20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 PM
BTK Expert

////the flashing relay.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Is there separate relay for left and right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 AM
BTK Expert

Get a heavy duty electronic flasher. Novita flashers are sold at autozone & other places. made in USA. Get one that's the same size & shape w the same number of terminals. LL552 or EL12 or etc. The old thermal flashers may not work right with modern bulbs or LEDs.

There's probably 1 flasher for the turn signals & 1 for the hazards. That's the way it is on my 81 KZ650-CSR & there are even 2 different part numbers & mine probably flash at different rates. I think your motorcycle has 2 identical flashers, same part number for both.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

Last edited by martin-csr; 07-30-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I will look into that thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:43 AM
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikels View Post
Hey guys looking for some trouble shooting advice for 1978 kz650 sr. My left turn signal only works intermittently. I checked out front and back light bulbs and they are good. As is the indicator bulb. I noticed the left indicator bulb socket seems to be floating higher than it should. I took it out of the tree and it seems to be ok, but Iím convinced that is my problem. Any other things I should check out? And if I can get a used harness should I just replace it? Found one on eBay for less than $20

Might be interesting to check the voltage and ground connections with a meter and maybe a good idea to clean the connections.
According to the wiring diagram, there is a connector (maybe behind the headlight?) where the green wire to the front left sig connects to the harness. Same at the rear and same for the grounds- but it seems like a corroded or dirty connection to either or both bulbs wouldn't make it "just not work". If cleaning the harness connections doesn't help then maybe loosen the left clamshell screws and check the connections at the turn sig switch? I guess you could try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the little turn sig switch slot but doubt if enough of the stuff would hit the contacts..

good luck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the suggestions
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Well, after replacing the relay and cleaning the switch contacts with no luck. I purchased a used wire meter harness and replaced mine. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks again for all the troubleshooting advice!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:38 PM

On my 77 KZ 1000 the turn signals are somewhat sketchy. Mine work great with the headlight off but you need to have the revs up for everything to work together. It may have something to do with the earlier bikes having a less robust charging system. I donít believe it was a law for having to have the headlight on while riding until 1978. Next time (if there is one) try turning off the headlight and see if that makes a difference.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I do t have a switch for my headlight. They are always on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page