Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Turn signal problems

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mikels 
#1 ·
Hey guys looking for some trouble shooting advice for 1978 kz650 sr. My left turn signal only works intermittently. I checked out front and back light bulbs and they are good. As is the indicator bulb. I noticed the left indicator bulb socket seems to be floating higher than it should. I took it out of the tree and it seems to be ok, but I’m convinced that is my problem. Any other things I should check out? And if I can get a used harness should I just replace it? Found one on eBay for less than $20

#4 · (Edited)
Get a heavy duty electronic flasher. Novita flashers are sold at autozone & other places. made in USA. Get one that's the same size & shape w the same number of terminals. LL552 or EL12 or etc. The old thermal flashers may not work right with modern bulbs or LEDs.

There's probably 1 flasher for the turn signals & 1 for the hazards. That's the way it is on my 81 KZ650-CSR & there are even 2 different part numbers & mine probably flash at different rates. I think your motorcycle has 2 identical flashers, same part number for both.

#6 ·
Might be interesting to check the voltage and ground connections with a meter and maybe a good idea to clean the connections.
According to the wiring diagram, there is a connector (maybe behind the headlight?) where the green wire to the front left sig connects to the harness. Same at the rear and same for the grounds- but it seems like a corroded or dirty connection to either or both bulbs wouldn't make it "just not work". If cleaning the harness connections doesn't help then maybe loosen the left clamshell screws and check the connections at the turn sig switch? I guess you could try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the little turn sig switch slot but doubt if enough of the stuff would hit the contacts..

good luck.

#9 ·
On my 77 KZ 1000 the turn signals are somewhat sketchy. Mine work great with the headlight off but you need to have the revs up for everything to work together. It may have something to do with the earlier bikes having a less robust charging system. I don’t believe it was a law for having to have the headlight on while riding until 1978. Next time (if there is one) try turning off the headlight and see if that makes a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.