Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Ignition coil

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  davidr1963 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever bought an ignition coil off of eBay the one on my bike I will assume it's original and only putting out 2.9 oms so according to the manual it needs to be replaced and I can't find an oem and I'm concerned about getting one off eBay

#2 ·
You’ll always be taking a chance buying electrical components off eBay and the older the item, the bigger risk you take.

That said, cooks seldom go wrong so you should be ok. Having said that, I had to replace one coil on my 83 GPz750 yesterday but I’ve plenty of spares so it wasn’t an issue.
I am considering buying the bullet and buying a set of Dyna coils and leads for it though.

#3 · (Edited)
You mean if you don't buy from an 'authorized' dealer.

It is not about Ebay, Ebay is only a virtual store, is about the type of coil or anything else you buy, and whether is used or brand new. You can find junk there, but even reputed and OEM suppliers sell through Ebay.

......I own a 30 year old bike, and many parts are no longer available from factory, thus I rely on Ebay, and other sources, used or new, and whatever I can get, otherwise bike would be grounded.

...al that said, when it comes to electrics, is best to try finding OEM first and new if you can help it, they are top quality.....and another thing, are you changing it, because is acting up or because resistance does not match the manual?????

#4 ·
What motorcycle is it? There are several options for new ignition coils, depending upon what motorcycle you have.
Several years ago I installed the green Dyna 3.0 ohm ignition coils from Z1Enterprises dot com onto my 81 KZ650-CSR. The gray 2.2 ohm are a better match for the stock electronic ignition, but I went with the 3.0 ohm in case I needed to go with the Dyna S ignition system. in case my pulsing coil went kaput. The green ones have worked fine & I'm still using the Kawasaki elec. ign.

#10 ·
By Cruzn74: Martin-csr, I was looking into the dyna coil just in case I couldn't find an oem...

I wouldn't buy an old OEM ignition coil, neither new nor used, but that's just me. There are new aftermarket ignition coils listed on EB that are kind of similar to the stock ignition coils & you would need to get one that has about the same ohms, probably 2.2 to 3.0 ohms since the 750-CSR has electronic ignition. I think this one would work: EB item # 173797783251

As alluded to above, the KZ440 electronic ignition is the same except for the advancer, so whatever coil works with the 81-on 440 also works with the 750-CSR. Don't get an ignition coil for points ignition >> some sellers lists them erroneously & bunch too many models into their fitment list, so you have to verify the ohms. The 1980 440 & 750G Twin had points ignition & I think all the later 440s & 750-Twins had electronic ignition, but sellers tend to list all of these models together.

#12 ·
You may have to fab some mounting brackets. Some guys use angle iron L-brackets from the hardware store.
For my 81 KZ650-CSR I made brackets from angle aluminum bar.
note: the 650-CSR is a completely different motorcycle than the 750-CSR, but the coils probably mount the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.