Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

89 500ex

762 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hugojose 
#1 ·
Hello, I used to ride dirtbikes a lot when I was younger and have been wanting to get into street riding. I found a 89 500EX for sale for 500. Hasn't ran in two years, the guy lost the gas cap key. Said he has been wanting to get it back on the road but has other bikes and too many projects. I am very mechanically inclined person. Just wondering if this is a good price for the bike and if there is anything to be weary of. Pics of bike look great one small rip in the seat but that's any easy fix.

#2 · (Edited)
You don't mention the miles, it could have 100 miles, or 1,000,000.

In general bikes this old, need considerable refreshing, if not a downright restoration. Expect to spend a whole lot more getting it in shape, even if it had been treated well and maintained. There will be more things other than the seat, starting with the carbs.

.....would you expect buying a 30-year old car that has been seating to be trouble free right off the bat??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.