Help! 06 Vulcan 500 won't start: Loud Clicking when I press the ignition button - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Cool Help! 06 Vulcan 500 won't start: Loud Clicking when I press the ignition button

Aloha, I'm new to riding and love my 06 Vulcan 500 but it won't start! It has been clicking Very loud when I press the ignition button for the last couple weeks but always eventually started...now it won't even start it just clicks and the loud noise is coming from under the seat on the left side i think. I attached a picture of the location w/o the cover where i think the noise is coming from. Can anyone Please advise me?? it seems like it could be an easy part to swap out; maybe the starter?? I've disconnected some of the cables in the area trying to trouble shoot. I do not have the user manual. Mahalo (Thanks) a lot.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (153.8 KB, 66 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:29 PM
old ed.
Extreme Forum Supporter

starter relay is the easy-cheepest try. if that dont fix it its the starter...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:30 PM
old ed.
Extreme Forum Supporter

sorry check the battery first.
Ric Bryant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks!! i'm about to try to jump it...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 PM
BTK Expert

CAUTION!! If you're going to jump the bike from a car,make sure the car's engine is off, otherwise a fuse will blow on the bike and other nasty things may happen.

Mike Folks
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 AM

Hi, Did you solve your starting problem?, i ask as my vn800 has same problem loud clicking when pressing the starter button. Has happened a few times in past but usualy after a few times of clicking the bike throws over and starts but now just clicking!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
AZ's Official Mechanic
BTK Expert

Location: COTTONWOOD ARIZONA ! JUST DOWN THE HILL FROM 158 corners in 12 miles...
make sure battery is FULL of DISTILLED water
make sure battery is FULLY CHARGED
make sure battery can pass a LOAD TEST (doesnt drop below 10.5v) any bike/car place can do this for you
make sure cables are tight/clean
if battery checks out then could be starter relay is going bad or switch on bars is going bad.... get a factory service manual and check both..
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Insect Impact Analyst
Forum Supporter

First off, when it did eventually start, did it turn over normally or did it sound like the battery was drained and was cranking really slowly? If it was normal, then it's more than likely something in your starter circuit. You should definitely have the battery checked first, as this could save you a lot of troubleshooting and work. If the battery is fine, then you will want to perform the following tests to try and track down the problem.

First and foremost, check to make sure your battery cables are clean and tight. Disconnect them and clean the terminals and battery posts with a wire brush to make sure you get a good connection. Reattach them and make sure they are tight.

If this doesn't change things, check the starter relay (the thing in the picture). You see the two heavy wires on the left side? Those are your cables coming in from the battery and going to the starter. You should be able to jump those terminals with a large screwdriver or a pair of pliers (wear goggles because it will most likely spark a bit). If the bike cranks over, it's most likely the starter relay, the ignition switch on the bars, or the wiring in between. If not, you probably have a problem with your starter or the cable going down to the starter. (P.S. If anybody knows this to be the wrong way to test the relay, please speak up). By the fact that you are hearing the click coming from the relay, I would think the ignition switch is fine.

If it still doesn't turn over, you will want to remove those cables and clean them the same as you did with the battery cables. Make sure they are tightened good as well. And be sure to disconnect the battery before cleaning them. Clean the cable that connects to the side of the starter in the same manner and make sure it's tight as well. If this doesn't make any difference, you most likely have a bad starter.

Computers let you make mistakes faster than any invention in history - with the exception of handguns and tequila.
06' FLHRSI Road King Custom (Buzz)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:52 AM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy View Post

(wear goggles because it will most likely spark a bit).

Excellent advice! A man who can read my mind.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM

vn800 not starting

Hi All, thanks for your replies, battery and all leads checks out fine, i think it is the solenide next to the battery it is this thats making the clicking noise. So will check out fleabay for new solenide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page