99 vulcan 1500 not the usual clicking sound - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

99 vulcan 1500 not the usual clicking sound

kawasaki vulcan 1500 clicking noise from front cylinder head on compression stroke when rotating the engine by hand very distinct almost sounds like valve spring is broke when running gets louder with more throttle but more like a deep vibration like gas tank is real loose but its not and not a clicking sound when running is for sure coming from front cylinder head and its not cam chain I don't think checked tensioner one thing thou front cylinder cam chain has a lot more slack than rear cylinder on rear cylinder tensioner hardly extends at all front tensioner is way more extended
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 PM

Ok I'm in need of some help this is my first bike it wont do anything when I hit the start button can someone help a newly out please
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:56 AM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorad0 View Post
kawasaki vulcan 1500 clicking noise from front cylinder head on compression stroke when rotating the engine by hand very distinct almost sounds like valve spring is broke when running gets louder with more throttle but more like a deep vibration like gas tank is real loose but its not and not a clicking sound when running is for sure coming from front cylinder head and its not cam chain I don't think checked tensioner one thing thou front cylinder cam chain has a lot more slack than rear cylinder on rear cylinder tensioner hardly extends at all front tensioner is way more extended
I suggest you do a compression test to see if the compression is down on the front cylinder. If it is low, adjust the valves next.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:55 PM

1500 Vulcan has hydraulic lifters, no adjustment. The hydraulic lifters do fail to pump up sometimes after sitting a long while, go easy on it for a few miles see if it pumps up. I remember some people pulled the oil line feeding the heads and drilled out the banjo bolt openings slightly as they are quite small and can be a restriction. There's also a small bronze filter in the oil galley in the head that filters the oil to the lifters in the head.

Could be the KACR (Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release) you're hearing or maybe the KACR has a broken spring or other part. (holds an exhaust valve open during cranking, should de-activate via centrifugal force once engine starts) Some people removed these completely, may be harder to crank if removed,,, Also makes a compression test problematic if it's working properly...

Good luck with it,
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM

As for the cam chain tensioners, iirc, DON'T turn engine over without them being installed, might have to re-do cam timing,,,

There are cam chain tensioner extenders available on line. Machined cap that goes over end of oem tensioner rod. The extenders seem to work fine and they don't seem to stretch past a certain point.

The 1500s have been known to have the cam chains get loose enough to saw a hole in the spark plug well tube and then leak oil... Tubes unscrew with spark plug socket from tool kit iirc. o-ring at both ends.

2004 Nomad (sold)
2016 Versys 1000LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page