Lights dim- plugs fouling... - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Garage
Lights dim- plugs fouling...

Ok so I'm pretty sure all of the electrical connections in my '78 Z1R have built up a fair amount of oxidation and resistance over the past few years and at the very least, need attention/cleaning, (I read another another post about an '84 750 fouling the plugs and I would also look in this area as well as elsewhere). So, after cleaning everything, I'm gonna renew a little of the wiring and add a sub fusing panel or even replace that pitiful plastic glass fuse holder ( no worries - will leave things so it can easily restored to "stock" (8 ) with something more modern and add a relay to run the ignition system. My question is: Has anyone successfully installed a headlight relay and retained the aux lighting box and all of it's functions?

thanks in advance! bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bille6 View Post
Ok so I'm pretty sure all of the electrical connections in my '78 Z1R have built up a fair amount of oxidation and resistance over the past few years and at the very least, need attention/cleaning, (I read another another post about an '84 750 fouling the plugs and I would also look in this area as well as elsewhere). So, after cleaning everything, I'm gonna renew a little of the wiring and add a sub fusing panel or even replace that pitiful plastic glass fuse holder ( no worries - will leave things so it can easily restored to "stock" (8 ) with something more modern and add a relay to run the ignition system. My question is: Has anyone successfully installed a headlight relay and retained the aux lighting box and all of it's functions?

thanks in advance! bill

I didn't see a good way to do it either except maybe insert a resister into the one of the 2 headlamp beam wires which I may yet try,
but for now I pulled the bulb. The bike is running as intended again. Probably better than any time since I've owned it and I wanted to

ride it a little this summer so instead of installing a repro harness, I committed blasphemy by adding a dual relay setup (one for each beam) which tucks nicely inside the upper left fairing and bolts to the left instrument mounting ear. The original 3-wire headlamp connector was toast so took the opportunity to snip it off and use the wires for relay switching. The headlight is bright once again.
The original plastic "fuse box" holding the 3 glass fuses was melted near the main 20 amp fuse so replaced it with a modern
4-fuse panel that doesn't heat up. All 4 slots are taken since I also added another relay setup for the existing Dyna ignition. I've ridden the thing twice so far, once around the block to check for mistakes in case I ended up pushing it home, then once more for about 16 miles. What a difference. No more plug fouling and actually had to lower the idle speed a little. It starts as soon as you hit the button and sounds good again.

thanks-
b
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Garage
So as luck would have it- the battery died anyhow. After recharging it and starting the engine, putting a voltmeter to the battery gives a reading
that jumps all over the place. I unplugged the stator and tested the 3 wires against each other. No voltage output so ordered a replacement

from Ebay. It went in as intended. I started the bike and did the test again. The reading still jumps all over the place with the only difference

being the numbers, when you can make them out, are higher than before. This bike has the old style electrical panel with the smooth aluminum

colored regulator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page