95 vulcan 1500 no spark - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

95 vulcan 1500 no spark

I just bought a 1995 vulcan 1500 from a friend. when i bought it it would not crank. so i did some troubleshooting and found no spark coming out of either coil. i have fire going to the coils but none coming out...... can anyone help me with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 PM
AZ's Official Mechanic
BTK Expert

Location: COTTONWOOD ARIZONA ! JUST DOWN THE HILL FROM 158 corners in 12 miles...
so ya have power to the coils ?
if so and theres no spark coming out then
either the pickup coil is bad (triggers the coils)
or
maybe the ground is bad
or
maybe they are both bad at the same time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 PM
frv

but, do you hear that the starter motor works?
do you have a special tool to check the spark?
two years ago i bougth a 00' vn1500 and a few days before i had a problem, i did a lot of test and i never saw the spark... but all the electrical system was ok, the problem was in the carburetor.

Reading the clymer manual and a lot of papers on internet I learned that could be difficult to see the spark.

I found the "reading values" (maybe it's not the correct name) of the circuit in the repair manual and I checked with a multimeter and all were fine.

do you have the repair, service & manteinance manual?
1996 - 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Series Clymer Repair Manual

FRV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 PM
BTK Intermediate

Hmmmm.... maybe try putting your tongue on the end of the spark plug and cranking at the same time. If it works, you'll know. Seriously though, don't do that. Check it in the dark. Spark plug sparks can be hard to see. I would find it odd that both coils went bad at the same time. It's possible, just not very likely. Maybe it's something that sends a signal to them? Sorry I'm useless.

Matt
2004 Vulcan 800 Classic (B)
2001 KX250
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Hmmmm.... maybe try putting your tongue on the end of the spark plug and cranking at the same time. If it works, you'll know. Seriously though, don't do that. .
I was going to say that, but I didn't!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Eddie Lawson is God!
BTK Expert

A Clymer manual is only used for bathroom entertainment when I need a laugh.
FACTORY service manual FTW.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000R1 #658

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks everyone. well after posting this the other day i went back out to work on my bike somemore and found that the ignition switch was messed up. All i had to do was turn the key to the almost off position and..... well lets just say i paid 230.00 dollars for the bike and now i can ride.... it never occured to me that the switch might be the problem. but again thanks for the help
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 PM

Hey i know this is an old post but I am having the same issue as you...I bought a 96' vulcan 1500 classic. Right now I'm getting no spark from the plugs. What solved your problem? you said the ignition switch...what did you do?

The ignition on my bike was moved on the bike farther back, and it also only has two positions, Off and On, but manual says it should have Off, On, and Park. and the ignition says on, off, P. but doesn't turn that far.

Right now the bike cranks but doesn't even try to start, and tried to look for spark and saw none out of any of the plugs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page