Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

67 year old newbe

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  wiredgeorge 
#1 · (Edited)
I was just given a 1983 Kawasaki that is not running. Model LTD KZ440
Questions ??
1 where does the vacuum line on the petcock connect ?
2 does the gas line from the petcock "T" into both carbs ?

That will be my starting point ....

Thanks for any help ... I guess I will be visiting the site a lot over the next few days

Terry

#2 ·
1 The petcock has to be hooked to manifold vacuum. There may be a port below the throttle plate on one of the carbs that provides the vacuum to operated the petcock. At least that is the way it's hooked up on my ZN700.

2 I'm sure it tees into both carbs.

Welcome to the site. I'm 75, so don't feel like you're the old guy!

#3 ·
Thanks Roadrunner...I feel soooo much better now. I went to a store and they showed me where the fuel connects, I was tyring to put the fuel feed into the vacuum port. Will give it a try tomorrow. May have to dig up a manual.
Thanks for the support.
Terry

#4 · (Edited)
Howdy. Partzilla has exploded diagrams that can be helpful. Kawasaki dot com also has diagrams, but partzilla is easier to use. Maybe not in this case with the carbs, but what I do is search a full part number on eebbaayy to check what's available or to see what a part is supposed to look like. pics of New/NOS parts can be handy.

Partzilla >> OEM >> Kawasaki >> Motorcycle >> Year >> 1983 >> then choose the appropriate 440 Ltd model

Manual. I don't know if there's a 440 pdf available. maybe try the KZ400 dot com site, but do NOT go into the forums as the forums there may harm your computer. There are probably a number of KZ440 Kawasaki service manuals on eebbaayy. Try to get one that covers your year. Kawasaki service manuals have a model application chart on the back cover & some EB sellers include a pic of the chart. If you can't find one for 83, the next best choice would be the 1982 version as a lot of stuff is probably the same, but the problem is that there may be some differences in things such as the fork oil capacity or carburetor jetting.

For comparison, in the 1981-83 KZ650 manual the supplement for the 83 650 is only one page; the supplement for the 82 650 has many pages; the 81-83 650 manual is the 81 base manual plus the 82 & 83 supplements.

#5 ·
Hi Guys,
So I was able to figure out the gas lines had her running for a while. Then the starter relay woud click when trying to start her again.
Voltage is going through the starter relay and the headlight isn't dimming so guess the starter has a bad connection.
Next problem... went to take the side panel off to get at the starter and of cource the heads are stripped on the screws.
Anybody found a GOOD stripped screw head remover !!!
Thanks

#8 ·
Get a JIS screwdriver, those screws are a Japanese Industrial Standard Phillips spec. Identified by a single dot on the screwhead. Vessel is a decent brand.

_|_
. |

regular Phillips screwdriver strips them out very easily. After 30+ years I'm amazed it's still not common knowledge.

#10 ·
By 9094: .... Vessel is a decent brand. ....

I have a pair of Vessel screwdrivers & they're nice w comfortable grips & long shafts. kind of pricy, but worth it IMHO. I also have a cheapo metric T-handle driver set from Sears >> it came with a set of bits & a range of small sockets in small sizes (handy for a few fasteners on my old KZ650); the bits are similar to JIS, if not exactly JIS, and are a good fit the metric fasters on the motorcycle.

#11 ·
The case screws are #3 JIS. Fortunately a hand impact driver with a #3 SAE phillips bit will work fine without further damage to the slots. The JIS screwdrivers are useful but unless you have one of the Vessel impact screwdrivers, a regular hand impact driver works a bit better. It also helps to put the screwdriver in the slots and tap it sharply as this will cause the screwdriver to seat a bit better and help break loose the stubborn case screw. Remove the screws and make a template out of cardboard with an outline of the case cover and then put the screws holes in the template to keep track of which goes where. I suggest you invest in some socket head metric bolts as these are less prone to damage and look a lot better than the originals with the worn slots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.