Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

A bit about me!

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RoadRunner322 
#1 ·
I joined the forum yesterday! I am 71 years young and have a 1999 ZZR600 with under 14,000 miles on the clock! My motorcycling started on my 16th. Birthday when my dad bought me a 1954 ex Royal Mail BSA Bantam it was a 125cc 2 stroke. When I started work as an Apprentice Engineer I couldn’t wait to get a “better bike” and bought a BSA C15 a 250cc 4 stroke which I passed my driving test on. As soon as I passed my test I couldn’t wait to get a bigger bike and bought a Matchless G9 500cc Twin. Unfortunately I was seduced into getting a car and bikes fell off my radar for 39 years. Not fully as during that time I bought a 250cc 4 stroke Panther! And an AJS CSR 650! Neither of which I managed to get on the road.
Possibly of interest is a story relating to the AJS. I have lived in the same house for over 40 years and several years ago I had a phone call from a man who asked if I had ever owned an AJS? I said yes and he said he was the current owner. He was trying to find any information on the bike. I turns out it is the 1961 AJS works production racer and was raced by the factory test rider. He sent me photo’s and it was in a sorry state being the frame and motor. I must try and contact him and see what progress he has made!
Well that’s me and bikes!
Having a few problems with my “baby” at present and hope my Haines manual and some suggestions from

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Welcome back to the motorcycling world. I'm 75, so you're not the oldest rider on the site! I've been a shadetree mechanic all my life and I know more about autos than motorcycles but I try to help when I can. I've been a casual or occasional rider more than a fanatic. I'm learning more about bikes now than ever before with my 3 old bikes trying to keep them running. Keep in mind that free advice is worth what you pay for it sometimes! Ha!

Many of our members have forgotten more about bikes than I know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.