Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

New here! Just bought a KZ400

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  martin-csr 
#1 ·
Hey all, after seeing a kz400 made into a a sweet tracker I decided I wanted one. Plus its a twin which I love the sound of. Literally just picked it up yesterday. I am a noob to working on bikes although I"m 80% finished with a Honda cb750 I've been putting together and customizing.

A couple things I've noticed... I put gas in the tank and the petcock leaks out the bottom front. Basically where the turn valve. Then gas also comes out the carb drain lines as well as somewhere on the bottom of the carbs. Like a sieve.

Can anyone tell me where to start with these? Obviously I need to rebuild the petcock (or get a new one). But besides getting two carb kits is there anything else I should do as well?

#2 ·
Before buying any kits, I would remove the carburetors from the motorcycle & clean everything under the float bowls. Check the float needle valves & seats for wear or pitting. Mine were fine, but I went ahead & polished them with bronze wool. The brass parts were okay as well, so I just replaced o-rings, gaskets & rubber stuff. Carb kits can be a waste of money as you may pay for extra unneeded parts & some brass parts aren't correct.

The fuel valve may need a rebuild kit or replacing. Check Partzilla to see what's available.
Z1Enterprises dot come may have some stuff for your motorcycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.