Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

New Subsection for New Riders - Welcome aboard

66K views 195 replies 124 participants last post by  171985 
#1 ·
Hey all, we have added a new subsection dedicated to new riders who are just getting started and have lots of questions and concerns. From what bike to ride to what gear to purchase and anything in between including MSF training and other tips and techinques can all be good topics of discussion.

#27 ·
looks like I will be asking the first question lol. I am planning on buying a helmet today. what should i look for in a motorcycle helmet? any particular brands or features or just a plain ol brain bucket? I was thinking of just the top type but with weather and country riding maybe i should get a face shield type(i dont want to know what insects taste like lol)

#29 ·
So far I am gathering as much information as I can before I begin my MSF course in September.

I regret not signing up earlier since summer is coming around the corner.

A lot of friends are pressuring me to get the 600cc and above..but I have my eyes set on a Kawasaki ninja 250r 2008...I figured for $3500...a brand new bike that looks good..is not a bad deal for a beginner's bike.

From what I've read on it...it's an excellent bike.
I will take the Team Oregon class in July, and I, too am looking at the Ninja 250. I haven't read anything bad about it yet! Any info/experience with this bike? I've ridden a dirt bike that last year, and as the passenger on a Yamaha FJR (too big for me, I'm female, 5'6, 120#). Can the Ninja do the open roads, or is it mainly an in-town bike? When I tell my fellow riders I'm considering it, they all gasp and say "a 250?...you have to be kidding!". But my gut says to go with it. Thanks for any response!

#30 ·
cricketbiker, if you do not have to absolutely have a new to you at least 250 Ninja, wait. Take the MSF course on a "provided" bike, and after you get your license go to a prospective dealer and take a test ride. If the dealer will not allow you a test ride, such may be an indication of after the sale support from the dealer as well... You are tall enough to ride a bigger bike, and you may very well be strong enough to ride a heavier bike. A 250 is not much of a highway cruising bike...

#32 ·
cricketbiker, if you do not have to absolutely have a new to you at least 250 Ninja, wait. Take the MSF course on a "provided" bike, and after you get your license go to a prospective dealer and take a test ride. If the dealer will not allow you a test ride, such may be an indication of after the sale support from the dealer as well... You are tall enough to ride a bigger bike, and you may very well be strong enough to ride a heavier bike. A 250 is not much of a highway cruising bike...
Thanks for the response! That sounds like a reasonable thing to do...wait and test drive. i also just found out we don't have a Kawasaki dealership in town anymore, and it was Strongly suggested to not buy a bike without a dealership. So that leaves me with...Honda, KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki. Any suggestions?

#33 ·
cricketbiker, if I lived more than several hundred miles away from a Kawasaki Dealer, and I was a great fan of "Factory Dealers", and I was not overly mechanically inclined, or interested to perform my own work. Then not having a "Dealer" in nearby would probably have influence I what brand bike I purchased? None of those being in my particular case. I do not worry / nor care about such concerns for that of myself. My suggestion is for a person to buy a bike they really like / can afford. I happen to lean toward Kawasaki's, however I know they are not the very best at everything, though someone may debate otherwise. All motorcycle parts can be shipped. Other brand Dealers can and will work on other brand motorcycles. Independent motorcycle shops often have more experienced "techs" than Dealerships. However another suggestion I always suggest to people is to proceed how in such a manner they are most comfortable with. You have some decisions to make.

#35 ·
I will take the Team Oregon class in July, and I, too am looking at the Ninja 250. I haven't read anything bad about it yet! Any info/experience with this bike? I've ridden a dirt bike that last year, and as the passenger on a Yamaha FJR (too big for me, I'm female, 5'6, 120#). Can the Ninja do the open roads, or is it mainly an in-town bike? When I tell my fellow riders I'm considering it, they all gasp and say "a 250?...you have to be kidding!". But my gut says to go with it. Thanks for any response!

Hey, Cricketbiker,

I just bought my first bike, which is a 07 Ninja 250 -- from my sis,, 300 miles on it, she bought it in the crate.
I have only riden it a little bit, as it is not home yet, but it was plenty fast for my non-experience.
I am very excited to pick it up next weekend.

Good luck to all,,,

Also,,

Could anyone post some links to some videos demonstrating riding and leaning / turning techinques?

Thanks in advance!

#36 ·
Hello

Just purchased my first street bike recently (05 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic) and thought I would come here to join the club!

I am a new rider .... took my MSF class and now about to go take my written (CA). I grew up riding dirtbikes and not it's time to "take it to the streets."

Just wanted to say hi...

jojo

#38 ·
I'm a new rider to 2 wheels! I used to ride 'back in the day' in my early 20's. But lots has happened since then, but I'm back! :lol: I've rode ATV's and snowmobiles in the past also. My husband rides an '81 KZ1000 LTD, and I'm re-learning on a recently purchased '83 KZ650, after looking at probably 20 bikes in the past 2 months! I'm taking a MSF course with the ABATE for Wisconsin in Black River Falls over Labor Day weekend. I'll be driving our car over there (about 2 hrs) unfortunately, so I can pull our popup and bring our two doggies, and my husband will be riding his bike over. I'm on facebook if anyone is interested. I've read that photos are mandatory ;) on this site, so I hope to get some photos of our bikes and post them somewhere very soon.

I took my bike out for the first time last night! With my husband riding along side! Way over to the side or way behind!! hee hee!! I made him promise not to yell at me and make me nervous! He did good! He's so much more patient than 20 yrs ago when we were teaching the kids to drive cars, dirtbikes, & ATV's! I'm proud of him! We live in the country, and our road is horseshoe shaped and is about 2 miles around. I went around the circle about 6 times, and stopped and started about 100 times! LOL, seriously about 15 times! We had to park our bikes because the bikes were getting way overheated! Obviously not from speed! From going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooo slooooooooooowwww! LOL

I'm off to the DMV this morning to take care of business, and I plan to polish and clean my ride this afternoon, and I'll be ready for lesson #2 when hubby comes home! My husband has a friend that will paint my tank, since it has someone's idea of art portrayed on it now :eek: and it's totally ugly! They also removed every badge and emblem, so I'll be looking for replacements soon. My hubby made me promise, (he knows me too well) not to ride alone for a few days, but seriously, that's OK with me..... for now! I like knowing he's nearby if I need help!! :DWhazzup?

#40 ·
Hello to all and thanks for the newb section.

I just purchased a (used) new '07 Ninja 250 and found the forums while doing a Google search for manuals for the bike. This looks like a great forum. I'm at work now, so I'll have to browse more later.

Oh and pictures ... Yeah I guess I'll have to find the 'introduce yourself' thread and post some, well either that or post my own.

#41 ·
:smile: Hi all,

Just thought I would pop in have been reading and learning new things about my 06 Vulcan 900 classic lt so far this has been a very informative forum and looks to have a good group of folk’s involved. I finished the MSF course in July and got my ride about three weeks ago and so far I love it. I will post pic's soon.

#45 ·
I just completed the safety course last weekend. I am about 5'6 125lbs. I was thinking about a 650 v-star, but my dad has a 2006 vulcan classic 900 that he has been saving for me and will give me a great deal on. I'm afraid it might be too big, but I don't know. As far as height, it fits me fine. I guess I'm just a little scared I'll go too big for my first bike. The only time I've been on a bike (besides as a passenger) was last Sat & Sun (it was a 250). Any suggestions?

#50 ·
Been looking around these forums for the past two years, amazes me how nice the people on here are, I've been wanting to get into motorcycling for a long time and finally this spring took the course and got my license. Couldn't afford a bike this year, but my GF's dad was nice enough to let me ride around his V-Star 1100 Custom all summer, gorgious bike.

I've finally come across enough money to put a down payment on my bike 900 CUstom:cool: , so i'll be getting that in the next couple months. It's snowing here (Ontario, Canada) so im hoping i'll be able to snag a used one for a couple hundred under normal.

Anyways sorry for the long introduction just wanted to say hey and I think there's alot of great people on this site that help one another out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.