Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

New Subsection for New Riders - Welcome aboard

66K views 195 replies 124 participants last post by  171985 
#1 ·
Hey all, we have added a new subsection dedicated to new riders who are just getting started and have lots of questions and concerns. From what bike to ride to what gear to purchase and anything in between including MSF training and other tips and techinques can all be good topics of discussion.

#54 ·
NewB

I call myself a newbee after not riding motorcycles for the better part of 25 years. Thanks for another location on the site to see what the other "new" riders are thinking. What I see is that I have the same questions and concerns and don't feel like such a boob! As otehr posters have said you have a great bunch of guys who are sharing their experiances and knowledge for the new guys who can get all the help they can find. "There are no dumb questions."
Well one question thats dumb, "should I sale the bike or stay married?"

Mike:newyear1:

#55 ·
Hello all and Happy New Year

I put this in the "welcome thread" then thought maybe it should go here. I am a prospective newbie looking to maybe buy an '86 Voyager XII. Not sure how I would search for this info. Would just like some help from you guys on what to look for. The bike has about 54K on it and supposedly the engine has only about 20K. What things should I check out before I buy it? I'll try to check on the battery and stator for proper charge. It rides well and engine sounds strong. It does have a whine from tranny or rear end that I would like to check on. Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

#56 ·
new

hey everybody
just joined up today and ive spent a couple hours just reading through old posts
ive learned alot already and had a fea of my questions answered without asking
im new to riding and my bike needs a little work
not a lot of shops around my area that work on bikes so i gotta do practically all of it myself
I bought a 1983 kz440 bored out to a 550 last spring
my speedo doesnt work
it ran great like 3 times last summer then just stopped starting
seems like one of the carbs might not be getting gas
ive never worked on a carb or any engine with carbs
its starting to get nice here and i really want to get out
if anyone has any info that might help me get it running again
please let me know
thanks for everyones help in other threads and to everyone who put this page together
amazing information thats easy to find
-shane

#59 ·
Yay!!! I've hit the newbie 250 jackpot!!

I took my class/license 3yrs ago but didn't get a bike til this past november (08 ninja 250e) and I love it. Like you said, I'm interested in advice on good techniques, turns, compensating for winds(me and my bike don't weigh that much). And I want to become a more skilled rider. Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated. I just recently hit the 1000mile mark on my bike so my inexperience is very evident. But I am still very proud of that mark! Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to the advice of experienced riders.

Ride safe and Ride often!
Lisa

#61 ·
I guess people don't come in here as much now. I just bought (about a month ago) a 09 ninja 250 (used), and I love it. I'm taking the MSF course this weekend. My husband was following in the car/truck to keep people off my butt on our road (the speed limit is 35-40, but people tend to go 45-55). Yesterday I took it out on my own. It was a great ride. I rode in some wind today (15-20 mph?). It pushed me to the centerline on a straight away. I'm glad I got a little taste of it going 40-45 than 60. I don't feel quite comfortable enough to take it out on the highway yet. If our highway was maintained decently, I would. There's some serious potholes and rough spots that cannot be avoided, and I want some more miles under my belt before I tackle them. Whenever I drive it, I imagine I'm on the bike and look for the best route. I've tried watching other bikes, but they're never at the bad spots when I am. Anyways, I need to eat dinner so I can get up in time for the course tomorrow. I live an hour away, so I'll be up with the sun. :) I'm do glad I finally got the guts to ride. I've had my permit for a year, and just started riding this month. My mom said she was interested in getting a bike (before I told her that we had one), and we let her ride the ninja, and she did so much better than I did! haha! I dropped it my first day, I fully expected her to drop it, and she didn't. Sorry for the long intro!

#62 ·
welcome to kawi forum

Welcome to kawi forum and u did a good job don't be scared falling but I'm no telling u to fall off hahaha.
Every first time riders fall its givin just need more practice and put some miles in ur bike and after a month or so you will be great
and u should rider other people cuz u will learn more and if u have any question or inneed of advice you're kawi family is here
:)

I guess people don't come in here as much now. I just bought (about a month ago) a 09 ninja 250 (used), and I love it. I'm taking the MSF course this weekend. My husband was following in the car/truck to keep people off my butt on our road (the speed limit is 35-40, but people tend to go 45-55). Yesterday I took it out on my own. It was a great ride. I rode in some wind today (15-20 mph?). It pushed me to the centerline on a straight away. I'm glad I got a little taste of it going 40-45 than 60. I don't feel quite comfortable enough to take it out on the highway yet. If our highway was maintained decently, I would. There's some serious potholes and rough spots that cannot be avoided, and I want some more miles under my belt before I tackle them. Whenever I drive it, I imagine I'm on the bike and look for the best route. I've tried watching other bikes, but they're never at the bad spots when I am. Anyways, I need to eat dinner so I can get up in time for the course tomorrow. I live an hour away, so I'll be up with the sun. :) I'm do glad I finally got the guts to ride. I've had my permit for a year, and just started riding this month. My mom said she was interested in getting a bike (before I told her that we had one), and we let her ride the ninja, and she did so much better than I did! haha! I dropped it my first day, I fully expected her to drop it, and she didn't. Sorry for the long intro!

#66 ·
hey there!! well too bad i didnt see this when i signed up! i already got my 03 Ninja (1 week ago) i finished my msf classes yesterday! and my insurance cost me 150 for the year. pretty good! so i love my bike, its so much smoother than the honda night hawks they had at the course! but im not hating! they were fun, they served their purpose! i also got real used to them. but anyways, i recommend those msf classes. they were the best classes ive ever taken of anything. i rode my ninja before i took the classes and it felt extremely hard, i dont know why but when i got home from my classes, i felt extremely comftorble and my confidence sky rocketed. i shift and brake as if it was second nature. ive been riding all day everyday!! :p my poor ninja! but hey those babies were meant to be pushed..

#67 ·
Hey everyone! My older cousin talked me into getting a motorcycle, I have always knew that I would eventually but he told me about his and how riding a bike is one of the funnest things to do in life. He tried to get me to go his route and skip the MSF training course, but I knew better (plus it was only $25). He bought a '03 R6 and basically taught himself how to ride on that beast.

I thoroughly enjoyed the course (minus the crappy bike they put me on the first day) and on day 3 I passed both riding tests with not one point taken off. On the written exam I got only 2 wrong. The course taught me so much and it was probably the best $25 I ever spent in my life.

I saved up a little bit of money and I'm going to buy a bike in the next week. I was going to go the route and get a 250, but I found this guy selling a '95 ZZR600 for only $1695. I went and took a look at the bike and it was in great condition, the guy was only selling it because he doesn't ride much.

Today I went for a test ride on it, and my thoughts going in were completely wrong. Since I've only rode little 250 I though that this bike was going to be way too much. I was actually wrong, it was pretty nimble in corners and not as heavy as I though. I'm about 5'11" and 210 and I can flat foot the bike on both sides and move it around quite nice. Also I thought that the the slightest turn on the throttle would shoot me off the back or send the front wheel straight into the air. But it has a very nice response. I think I'm sold on it.

Sorry for the long intro... I'm just super excited about getting a bike!

#71 ·
I have a '94 ZX 600 That I have not ridden yet but my bf and I thought would be a good starting bike for me. Its in good condition only missing 2nd gear (not sure if that will be a problem) but I am not an experienced rider at all. I have only ridden with others, but never by myself and to be honest I am a little afraid to even get on it. I love riding and want to be able to do it on my own. I just dont know how to take the first step....HELP!

#72 ·
I have a '94 ZX 600 That I have not ridden yet but my bf and I thought would be a good starting bike for me. Its in good condition only missing 2nd gear (not sure if that will be a problem) but I am not an experienced rider at all. I have only ridden with others, but never by myself and to be honest I am a little afraid to even get on it. I love riding and want to be able to do it on my own. I just dont know how to take the first step....HELP!
First step - take the MSF course. That will do wonders to get you started on the right path. You can't go wrong starting there!

And welcome to the forum!

#73 ·
Welcome HunnyBunny13.

Maybe you should learn on a bike that has all of it's gears before trying to ride the bike that makes you do without 2nd. ;-)

I second Mikes suggestions to take the MSF. It will teach you skills that you will use the rest of your life.

#74 ·
Hello from an old starting over biker. Is this thread still open? I am just getting started again after 30 years without riding. Most of my questions are about the forum rather than the bike. Like what does the + sign mean? I see some posts that all they have is the + sign or a . (period) or bump. Is there a list of these acronyms?

#75 ·
Hello from an old starting over biker. Is this thread still open? I am just getting started again after 30 years without riding. Most of my questions are about the forum rather than the bike. Like what does the + sign mean? I see some posts that all they have is the + sign or a . (period) or bump. Is there a list of these acronyms?
Good question. I know +1 means "I agree with what you have said". I know bump means the person is trying to move a thread back up to the top of a forum. I don't know what a period means.

Welcome back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.