Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

50 steps to Stay Alive

55K views 111 replies 72 participants last post by  Lady Phoenix 
#1 ·
(repost for new members)

1. Assume you're invisible.
To a lot of drivers, you are. Never make a move based on the assumption that another driver sees you, even if you've made eye contact. Bikes don't register to the four-wheel mind.

2. Be considerate.
The consequences of strafing the jerk du jour or cutting him off, start out bad and get worse. Pretend it was your grandma and smile.

3. Dress for the crash, not the pool or the pub.
Sure, McDonalds is a 5-minute trip, but nobody plans to eat pavement. Modern mesh gear means 100-degree heat is no excuse for a T-shirt and board shorts.

4. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Assume that car across the intersection will turn across your bow when the light goes green, with or without a turn signal.

5. Leave your ego at home.
The only people who really care if you were faster on the freeway will be the officer and the judge.

6. Pay attention.
Yes, there is a half-naked girl on the billboard. That shock does feels squishy. Meanwhile, you could be drifting toward Big Trouble. Focus.

7. Mirrors only show you part of the picture.
Never change direction without turning your head to make sure the coast really is clear.

8. Be patient.
Always take another second or three before you pull out to pass, ride away from a curb or into freeway traffic from an on-ramp. It's what you don't see that gets you. That extra look could save your butt.

9. Watch your closing speed.
Passing cars at twice their speed or changing lanes to shoot past a row of stopped cars is just asking for trouble.

10. Beware the verge and the merge.
A lot of nasty surprises end up on the sides of the road: empty McDonalds bags, nails, TV antennas, ladders, you name it. Watch for debris on both sides of the road.

11. Left-turning cars remain a leading killer of motorcyclists.
Dont assume someone will wait for you to dart through the intersection. They're trying to beat the light, too.

12. Beware of cars running traffic lights.
The first few seconds after a signal light changes are the most perilous. Look both ways before barging into an intersection.

13. Check your mirrors.
Do it every time you change lanes, slow down or stop. Be ready to move if another vehicle is about to occupy the space youd planned to use.

14. Mind the gap.
Remember Drivers Ed? One seconds worth of distance per 10 mph is the old rule of thumb. Better still, scan the next 12 seconds ahead for potential trouble.

15 Beware of racers.
They're quick and aggressive. Dont assume you've beaten one away from a light or outpaced it in traffic and change lanes without looking. You could end up as a civic hood ornament.

16. Excessive entrance speed hurts.
Its the leading cause of single-bike accidents on twisty roads and racetracks. In Slow, Out Fast is the old adage, and it still works. Dialing up corner speed is safer than scrubbing it off.

17. Dont trust that deer whistle.
Ungulates and other feral beasts prowl at dawn and dusk, so heed those big yellow signs. If youre riding in a target-rich environment, slow down and watch the shoulders.

18. Learn to use both brakes.
The front does most of your stopping, but a little rear brake on corner entry can calm a nervous chassis.

19. Keep the front brake covered always.
Save a single second of reaction time at 60 mph and you can stop 88 feet shorter. Think about that.

20. Look where you want to go.
Use the miracle of target fixation to your advantage. The motorcycle goes where you look, so focus on the solution instead of the problem.

21. Keep your eyes moving.
Traffic is always shifting, so keep scanning for potential trouble. Dont lock your eyes on any one thing for too long unless youre actually dealing with trouble.

22. Think before you act.
Careful whipping around that micra going 7 kph in a 30-kph zone or you could end up with your head in the drivers side door when he turns into the driveway right in front of you.

23. Raise your gaze.
Its too late to do anything about the 20 feet immediately in front of your fender, so scan the road far enough ahead to see trouble and change trajectory.

24. Get your mind right in the driveway.
Most accidents happen during the first 15 minutes of a ride, below 40 mph, near an intersection or driveway. Yes, that could be your driveway.

25. Come to a full stop at that next stop sign.
Put a foot down. Look again. Anything less forces a snap decision with no time to spot potential trouble.

26. Never dive into a gap in stalled traffic.
Cars may have stopped for a reason, and you may not see why until its too late to do anything about it.

27 Dont saddle up more than you can handle.
If you weigh 95 pounds, avoid that 795-pound cruiser. If you're 5-foot-5, forget those towering adventure-tourers.

28. Watch for car doors opening in traffic.
And smacking a car thats swerving around some goofballs open door is just as painful.

29. Dont get in an intersection rut.
Watch for a two-way stop after a string of four-way intersections. If you expect cross-traffic to stop, there could be a painful surprise when it doesnt.

30. Stay in your comfort zone when youre with a group.
Riding over your head is a good way to end up in the ditch. Any bunch worth riding with will have a rendezvous point where youll be able to link up again.

31. Give your eyes some time to adjust.
A minute or two of low light heading from a well-lighted garage onto dark streets is a good thing. Otherwise, youre essentially flying blind for the first mile or so

32. Master the slow U-turn.
Practice. Park your butt on the outside edge of the seat and lean the bike into the turn, using your body as a counterweight as you pivot around the rear wheel.

33. Who put a stop sign at the top of this hill?
Dont panic. Use the rear brake to keep from rolling back down. Use Mr. Throttle and Mr. Clutch normally and smoothly to pull away.

34. If it looks slippery, assume it is.
A patch of suspicious pavement could be just about anything. Butter Flavor Crisco? Gravel? Mobil 1? Or maybe its nothing. Better to slow down for nothing than go on your head.

35. Bang! A blowout! Now what?
No sudden moves. The motorcycle isnt happy, so be prepared to apply a little calming muscle to maintain course Ease back the throttle, brake gingerly with the good wheel and pull over very smoothly to the shoulder. Big sigh.

36. Drops on the faceshield?
Its raining. Lightly misted pavement can be slipperier than when its been rinsed by a downpour, and you never know how much grip there is. Apply maximum-level concentration, caution and smoothness.

37. Emotions in check?
To paraphrase Mr. Ice Cube, chickity-check yoself before you wreck yoself.
Emotions are as powerful as any drug, so take inventory every time you saddle up. If youre mad, sad, exhausted or anxious, stay put.

38. Wear good gear.
Wear stuff that fits you and the weather. If youre too hot or too cold or fighting with a jacket that binds across the shoulders, you're dangerous. Its that simple.

39. Leave the iPod at home.
You wont hear that cement truck in time with Spinal Tap cranked to 11, but they might like your headphones in intensive care.

40. Learn to swerve.
Be able to do two tight turns in quick succession. Flick left around the bag of briquettes, then right back to your original trajectory. The bike will follow your eyes, so look at the way around, not the briquettes. Now practice till its a reflex.

41. Be smooth at low speeds.
Take some angst out, especially of slow-speed maneuvers, with a bit of rear brake. It adds a welcome bit of stability by minimizing unwelcome weight transfer and potentially bothersome driveline lash.

42. Flashing is good for you.
Turn signals get your attention by flashing, right? So a few easy taps on the pedal or lever before stopping makes your brake light more eye-catching to trailing traffic.

43. Intersections are scary, so hedge your bets.
Put another vehicle between your bike and the possibility of someone running the stop sign/red light on your right and you cut your chances of getting nailed in half.

44. Tune your peripheral vision.
Pick a point near the center of that wall over there. Now scan as far as you can by moving your attention, not your gaze. The more you can see without turning your head, the sooner you can react to trouble.

45. All alone at a light that wont turn green?
Put as much motorcycle as possible directly above the sensor wire usually buried in the pavement beneath you and located by a round or square pattern behind the limit line. If the light still wont change, try putting your kickstand down, right on the wire. You should be on your way in seconds.

46. Every-thing is harder to see after dark.
Adjust your headlights, Carry a clear faceshield and have your game all the way on after dark, especially during commuter hours.

47. Dont troll next toor right behind Mr. Peterbilt.
If one of those 18 retreads blows upwhich they do with some regularity it de-treads, and that can be ugly. Unless you like dodging huge chunks of flying rubber, keep your distance.

48. Take the panic out of panic stops.
Develop an intimate relationship with your front brake. Seek out some safe, open pavement. Starting slowly, find that fine line between maximum braking and a locked wheel, and then do it again, and again.

49. Make your tires right.
None of this stuff matters unless your skins are right. Dont take em for granted Make sure pressure is spot-on every time you ride. Check for cuts, nails and other junk they might have picked up, as well as general wear.

50. Take a deep breath.
Count to 10. Smile at the idiot. Forgetting some clowns 80-mph indiscretion beats running the risk of ruining your life, or ending it.

See less See more
#54 ·
My New Bike?

I recently bought a Vulcan 1500 classic, the bike I went through the fence on was a KZ 900, The interesting part was after the accident I looked around the field and there was an angry bull and a few cows staring at me as I was trying to get bike going. Thought **** survived crash now this bull is going to kick my but, luckily we were both cool he was just glad to see me go.

The side swipe incident was on a GSX 750 my left foot peg was bent so badly I had to stop and kick it back into place. The Kid in the back seat looked like one of those Garfield dolls stuck in the window.

As for the nick name it has its origin in my european ancestory but primarily from beer and burritos for breakfast.[/QUOTE]

I am seriously considering buying the Vn900 Custom as l am bikeless at the moment having recently sold the Tiger. When I go back to the UK to view the new bike? I have been told to have a look at the Vn1700 Meanstreak which is a new model to the UK market. I am just over 6' and about 16 and a half stone so it will need plenty of torque to carry me and my travel kit. I must admit the Vn900 appeals to me, but we'l see.

European ancestry? all Americans have European ancestry lol. Allbeit a certain class of adventurer, unlike the Austrailians just check their ankles for the chain marks lol. I cant even guess since Europe covers a pretty big area, give us a clue? Not too difficult us Welsh boys are not known for our brain power.

Beer and burritos, mmmmmmmmm I can feel a curry coming on.:newyear:

#60 ·
My lineage can be traced back to William the 1st, AKA William the conquer, AKA the ******* king we know who his father was not sure about his mom (LOL)
Well guess where i am? lol No nowhere near Normandy where he was born, but I am in France, in the Charente (pronounced Charaun). His father was Robert I, the sixth Duke of Normandy. His mother was called Herleva who was the humble daughter of a Tanner. He his classed as the best of our Kings so well done you. I just reminded myself of NOregret78 thread today King William died out riding too. Lets not end on a sad note as I am going back to researching my new bike, anybody any ideas.:newyear:

#62 ·
actually born in US of German and Italian background... but i have a solution for your itch

Relieve the friction of monkey butt and painful butt rash, when you ride, sweat and sit. | Anti Monkey Butt Powder
Although I am not suffering at the moment I will safe it to my favourites, thanks for that. By the way spent 10 years in Germany and loved every minute of it. Even got to coach a German Rugby Club call Hannover Victoria and a short spell with the German National Team. I suppose that was my 15 minutes of fame? who knows? Thanks for the itching powder lol.:newyear:

#65 ·
Well guess where i am? lol No nowhere near Normandy where he was born, but I am in France, in the Charente (pronounced Charaun). His father was Robert I, the sixth Duke of Normandy. His mother was called Herleva who was the humble daughter of a Tanner. He his classed as the best of our Kings so well done you. I just reminded myself of NOregret78 thread today King William died out riding too. Lets not end on a sad note as I am going back to researching my new bike, anybody any ideas.:newyear:
Holcombe Coat of Arms

thats a link to my family coat of arms not very in depth

Know back on subject what type of bike are you looking for

#66 ·
Steve,

Congrats on your new lifestyle!

Good for you, reading up on how to stay alive!

Never, never forget, it doesn't matter who is/was right or wrong, it is completely up to you to prevent being hurt or killed while riding.

If you take full responsibility for your actions, and are always prepared to take evasive action when the rest of the drivers do not, you'll live to be a happy old biker!

#67 ·
Another safety tip for you guys. Replace that wimpy horn. I almost got hit on the freeway several times because the car to the right of me didn't see me and tried to turn into my lane. One time, there were cars in front, behind and to the left of me there was nowhere to go. I laid down the horn and the guy never even looked over. He just kept talking on his cell phone. I am lucky he was a slow merger. After about 5-6 seconds of me laying on the horn, he finally saw me. A few weeks later I installed an air horn. The volume is more than tripled and I haven't had any close calls since.

#71 ·
Very good stuff, great to read over and over again. Makes me want to go out and practice my swerves, uturns, braking etc, probably not a bad idea.
James,

Good thinking!
Practicing in an empty parking lot a couple times a month for just 15-30 minutes a shot will greatly increase your skill level and chances of survival over the vast majority of riders out there.
It is a lot of fun to challenge yourself to do better, and you get to ride your bike while doing it!

#75 ·
This is a great thread with tons of great tips.

As a truck driver in previous years I'd like to expand the below tip:

(repost for new members)

47. Dont troll next toor right behind Mr. Peterbilt.
If one of those 18 retreads blows upwhich they do with some regularity it de-treads, and that can be ugly. Unless you like dodging huge chunks of flying rubber, keep your distance.

Truck drivers don't want you next to them or hugged up behind them either, despite big mirrors, most trucks have blind spots that a full sized pickup truck can disappear in, let alone a motorcycle. If that truck needs to change lanes, and you're lost in that driver's blind spot, I hope you have very good reaction speed or good insurance. My best suggestion for dealing with trucks is either stay back or get past them.

#76 ·
+1000

I would add to that, And NO I am not bashing RV drivers, but please stay well clear of all kinds of RV's as well.

Many drivers are very competent behind the wheel of a big RV, but some are far more used to driving the family SUV, and some have very little experience much less training to drive that big rolling motel that they bought yesterday!!

Its just that they have big blind spots just like the big rigs, and many are way over loaded, and very underpowered, and not near as regulated as the big rigs are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.