Old rider advice to young rider---Don't red line her - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Old rider advice to young rider---Don't red line her

Sold a 30 year year old, great running Honda 500 V-twin to a young rider a couple of years ago.

Explained that she had six speeds and advised that he NOT run her up to red line of 9K rpm's.....cause she's 30 years old.

He promised not to.

Then---3 days later, he ran her up and she came apart.

Nuff said.

Well, I tried guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 AM

Too bad. Young 'uns never heen wise advice.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Actually, EX-CarGuy
BTK Expert

Well, your conscience should be clear!

Go for the ride, not the destination!
2014 Kawasaki Nomad ABS
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

That's gotta hurt, to have her die like that. But I see and hear it all the time these young people revving the sportbikes as proficiently as the HD guys blipping the throttle. It's an art. But riddle me this: didn't you race the carp out of stuff when you were young? I know I did. Damaged more than one motor and totaled more than one vehicle in my day. Yeah, it's a shame but that's youth. Maybe you should have passed on the sale. Being one of the "if you have to say it" situations you probably knew it deep down. Plus by saying not to you basically double dog dared him to.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 PM
Politicians' Nightmare
BTK Expert

I was fortunate that when I was a kid one of our neighbors was a very wise maintenance manager for a steel plant and taught by example and with lessons how to work with mechanical items. His basic approach was, respect machinery and it will treat you well. He would get more miles out of their car engines than other people and then rebuild them himself. So I never crashed or ruined a piece of machinery. Another reason was that I couldn't afford to. I had a Yamaha 650 for 30 years which I didn't rev to redline, gave it to auto salvage person when I couldn't get parts for It any more. The engine was still good so he used it to make a go cart for his daughter.

That young rider didn't listen to someone who gave wise advice and so he paid the price!

Jim
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 PM
BTK Expert

How many miles on it? These Japanese bikes are tough. But the old ones don't have rev limiters and can be over revved.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:21 PM
itching to ride
BTK Expert

I am 60 years old and still bang my 30+ year old 454 to that 10 grand redline at times. All in the lower gears though as I have no need to go 100 mph any more. I think 80 is about as fast as I have had it.
Every bike I ever had I redlined and never dropped a valve or grenaded an engine.

It has 27k on her, I think. Been awhile since I checked but I keep her maintained pretty well.

1986 LTD 454
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawpaul View Post
I am 60 years old and still bang my 30+ year old 454 to that 10 grand redline at times. All in the lower gears though as I have no need to go 100 mph any more. I think 80 is about as fast as I have had it.
Every bike I ever had I redlined and never dropped a valve or grenaded an engine.

It has 27k on her, I think. Been awhile since I checked but I keep her maintained pretty well.
+1 and I have to disagree with the sweepeing comment of "dont red line her",
I ride on the street only vintage stuff, my main ride is a 37 year old KZ750E that often gets taken to redline on it's stock engine, I ?ften do long stretches at 90 mph (doable here on italian autostradas).
in the weekends i road race in the national vintage cahmpionship, always taking motors way beyond stock redline
and this very week i took to the track a stock 1984 gpz550, did three 20 mins track session with her, constantly taking her to 11,000.

These motors were designed with these rpms in mind, no problem talking them there. of course that if valve springs are tired, piston has slop and eats oil, etc. then you are looking for trouble. but on a decent condition motor? cant see the issue, quite the opposite... in italy we believe that taking motors to the redline does them only good, seriously, it's called "italian tune-up"

sorry for the young dude but maybe the advice to him when buying the bike should have been, change the oil and filter, check the tappets and cam chain tensioners, warm her up well before pushing, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page