Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Project "Saki Bob"

62K views 252 replies 34 participants last post by  greedyg76 
#1 ·
Well, I've been riding for 15 years or so, mostly sport bikes, but have always admired the VN800's. So right before Christmas I bought one :-D. Found a pretty good deal on a 98 classic, love the fat front tire, for $2k and it already had V&H Drag pipes on it. Looks like it will make a perfect foundation for a bobber project. Hopefully as I start this, I can use this thread to ask questions and get suggestions from you guys that have inspired me to bob my 800. Stay tuned for pics

Greedy

#78 ·
Hey DC - thanks for the complement. The plate mount I got from Road 6 Customs, here's a link to their ebay store:

Model A side mount license plate bracket 2008-2011 | eBay

It's made to mount via a 25mm Harley axle bolt, but the axle bolt on the Vulcan isn't long enuff. I mounted it via the 12 x 1.25mm threaded bung, had to weld a washer over the 25mm hole to reduce it to fit the 12mm bolt.

The tail light is just a Model A style that I picked up from a local early Ford restoration shop for a song. I'll get you a side view pic in a bit.

-G

#79 ·
#80 ·
I have the stock needle with no shims. Runs pretty good when its above 60 degrees. Its hard to warm the bike up on days like today. Is a little cool here in Memphis this morning. High 40's to low 50's. Anyway, once warmed up it does fine. At mid range it sometimes backfires thru the air cleaner. Think I may need to adjust my low speed mixture screw.

I am running the 170 and 50 jets.

I did buy a different needle to try. H-D Part No. 27094-88 from '88 and '89 sportsters. This needle is supposed to cure all the problems of the Keihin running lean on Harleys. I have read that with this needle, you don't even have to rejet at all. Well, I did rejet first. I tried the needle. It seemed to be starving for gas. However, it was the first time I had run the bike since the tank swap, so I don't know if this was an accurate test. I plan on trying it again soon.

#81 ·
This is where I bought mine. Seem to be a bit cheaper than the links you posted. I had a good experience with them. I also bought the ez adjust for the air mixture screw. However, I still can't get my hand in there to adjust it. Also, if you by harley jets, you have to by the emulsion tube for the main jet, I think its the main.

Johns Cycle Parts

#82 ·
Cool thanks Rowdy - I'll go with jets for now, and an after market needle later if need be. The needle is ez to get to without taking off the whole carb anyhow... and you are right, threads on the HD main jet emulsion tube are different...

#83 ·
Re: rattle cans

I decided to ditch the fat chrome fork covers and paint the lowers and trees

then the tank too

I'm currently debating whether or not I should paint mine as well. Was it a complete PITA to take apart and reassemble? anything I should be wary of? Oh, I will be powdercoating them, not painting them so i may need to take them ALL the way down. any pointers?

#84 ·
It is actually really simple to disassemble the front end. Just take off the front wheel, loosen the the upper and lower triple tree bolts and slide the individual fork tubes out...

#86 ·
that is part of the reason I decided to just paint rather than powder coat, didn't want to take apart the tubes themselves. And with as easy as it is to slide the tubes out of the trees, repainting is simple if they get nicked up. not to mention cheaper...

#90 ·
and then drag it down the street on the end of a chain to get the same abused look? I wouldn't spend that much on a tank, although original cheezy custom paint from the 70's does hold value to me...

#93 ·
Sorry Greedy, I didn't pick up on the sarcasm at first! Glad you weren't serious!
I was actually thinking about the inside on the way home from work. Looking at the gas cap, I bet the inside is super bad.

Hey, you were asking me about my classic seat? I responded to your pm. I still have it. Let me know if you are interested.

#94 ·
Well got the new jets installed and while I was in there, I discovered the needle is not stock like I had thought. It is aftermarket with the clip on the second slot from the top... I wish I would have checked that before I bought 170 & 52 jets. Made a few mods to my el cheapo air cleaner to get it mounted and I think it looks great. Now to see how she runs, if at all ;)

#98 ·
Ive had the pleasure of ridding both custom and classic and the only difference I noted was that the 21" front seemed more willing to enter tighter turns. I assume that is simply because it is easier to roll a 3" wide tire onto it's side than a 6" fat steamroller tire... Other than that, the ride quality seemed very much the same

#101 ·
Went out for a short ride today when I got home from work, fun, fun fun... Im going to change the seat bracket and paint the fender but right now I'm riding so I'll get to it later. I realized this bike looks so much cooler than when I first bought it

Then:

Now:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.