1982 KZ750 LTD STARTER CLUTCH HELP!!! - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

1982 KZ750 LTD STARTER CLUTCH HELP!!!

I was told I need to replace the starter clutch on my 82 kz750 LTD and I'm having trouble finding one. However, I have found a starter clutch for a 1981 kz750 LTD and also a 1982 KZ550 LTD. Can anyone tell me if either one of these will be able to be used on my 1982 kz750 LTD? Any and all information is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Biker Chef
BTK Expert

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 PM
BTK Expert

Re: 1982 KZ750 LTD STARTER CLUTCH HELP!!!

The one from any 650 or 750 Kawasaki air cooled four family including, KZs, Zephyrs, GPZs, or ZR7 are same. The 550 is a physically smaller engine, so probably not. If you are thinking about a used one, think again. There is a lot of disassemble involved and a used one may have some wear also, so you may be doing this soon again.

The so called rebuild kits usually include only the rollers and the springs, any of these may be your problem, but the inner hub (where rollers roll and catch on) also wears and is not visible to the naked eye. For all this work it is better to replace the whole thing with a new one, or at least rollers, springs, and inner hub, which is about 80% anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Sheldon and Hugo. I actually found a salvaged one and was going to take my chances with it as it supposedly has little wear and fairly low mileage on it. I guess we'll see soon. If this fails me, then I will take to replacing the parts you gentlemen have suggested. Fingers crossed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Open mouth, insert foot..
BTK Expert

It's a real crap-shoot - or Russian Roulette - to go to all the disassembly, THEN just install a set of USED parts, to replace the USED parts that are already not working properly. Seems like a waste of time and effort - unless you LIKE misery and re-doing work...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugojose View Post
The one from any 650 or 750 Kawasaki air cooled four family including, KZs, Zephyrs, GPZs, or ZR7 are same. The 550 is a physically smaller engine, so probably not. If you are thinking about a used one, think again. There is a lot of disassemble involved and a used one may have some wear also, so you may be doing this soon again.

The so called rebuild kits usually include only the rollers and the springs, any of these may be your problem, but the inner hub (where rollers roll and catch on) also wears and is not visible to the naked eye. For all this work it is better to replace the whole thing with a new one, or at least rollers, springs, and inner hub, which is about 80% anyway.
Is the starter the same for all KZ650 and 750 models? I have an '83 KZ750F (Shaft drive four cylinder) and the bike came with no starter when I bought it. I'm having a hard time finding a starter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 04:15 AM
BTK Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyZ750 View Post
Is the starter the same for all KZ650 and 750 models? I have an '83 KZ750F (Shaft drive four cylinder) and the bike came with no starter when I bought it. I'm having a hard time finding a starter.

The starter motor is different to the starter clutch (and much easier to replace).

Iím pretty sure that the starter motor from any air cooled Kawasaki 750 four cylinder engine will fit any other.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 PM
BTK Expert

The starter is the same bit on almost any vintage Kawasaki not just 750.

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page