Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned
BTK Expert

Re: How to bypass the pull in the clutch switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
Can anyone here tell me how to do this . This is a 83 KZ1100. Thanks
Gotta ask why you think you NEED to do this.
More than one rider with no clutch safety switch has started in gear with nasty results.

If you must..........disconnect the wires from the little micro-switch up by the clutch handle (most are there. Some might be other places.)
If leaving them disconnected doesn't give you what you want (It probably won't) then connect the two wires together. That should signal the safety logic that the clutch is never engaged. Not only will that allow you to start it in gear, it might allow you to ride away with the sidestand down too. Both can be BAD.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Thanks for the info . I finally opened my eyes and found it . Not saying this won't happen to me but I ALL way rock the bike . Side stand switch not for me . I learned the hard way a long time ago PUT up the kick stand . I am still here . Don't need the government in my riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
Thanks for the info . I finally opened my eyes and found it . Not saying this won't happen to me but I ALL way rock the bike . Side stand switch not for me . I learned the hard way a long time ago PUT up the kick stand . I am still here . Don't need the government in my riding.
OK fine. Each to his own I guess.......and I 99% agree with the government comment......except for things that really DO improve safety and really take away NOTHING from the riding experience.......like the sidestand safety, and mostly the clutch safety too.

What exactly do those two things prevent you from doing that you actually need (or really want) to do ??
I've been riding for ~45 years and neither has ever really gotten in the way of anything.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 PM
itching to ride
BTK Expert

I think those switches were put there to avoid lawsuits because lets face it some people like to blame the manufacturer for their own carelessness. They have not gotten in my way either but at the same time I have never had need for them as I have ridden numerous bikes that did not have them. My clutch switch on the gpz was actually bypassed when I got it.

1986 LTD 454
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawpaul View Post
I think those switches were put there to avoid lawsuits because lets face it some people like to blame the manufacturer for their own carelessness.
The fact remains that they WORK for the intended purpose, which is to prevent (dumb) accidents.
I think it is just a side-effect if it helps keep the bike makers our of court.

Riders who remain healthy buy more bikes; those who are crippled up generally don't.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM
BTK Expert

-

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 AM
itching to ride
BTK Expert

Pretty sure most so called safety devices were put in place because of frivolous law suits. New atvs got plastered with warning stickers in regard to the age of an operator because of law suits as if the parent/guardian had no responsibility in the matter. I am sure there were many others and I have noticed that when I was growing up there were not many warning labels on anything because people were taught how to operate them before using.

I am of the opinion that govt intrudes into our lives way to much as is and we need to take responsibility for our own actions and not try to shift the blame on another just because they have deep pockets. Do we really need a warning on a cup of coffee telling us it is hot? Maybe design the cup so if it tilts it will not spill until the temp reaches a bearable temp.

I would imagine the ones who operate bikes without these safety switches are involved in far fewer accidents than those that do. And of those who are in accidents of any ilk the missing switch would not account for even a handful.

I guess I am just old school.

1986 LTD 454
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawpaul View Post
Pretty sure most so called safety devices were put in place because of frivolous law suits. New atvs got plastered with warning stickers in regard to the age of an operator because of law suits as if the parent/guardian had no responsibility in the matter. I am sure there were many others and I have noticed that when I was growing up there were not many warning labels on anything because people were taught how to operate them before using.

I am of the opinion that govt intrudes into our lives way to much as is and we need to take responsibility for our own actions and not try to shift the blame on another just because they have deep pockets. Do we really need a warning on a cup of coffee telling us it is hot? Maybe design the cup so if it tilts it will not spill until the temp reaches a bearable temp.

I would imagine the ones who operate bikes without these safety switches are involved in far fewer accidents than those that do. And of those who are in accidents of any ilk the missing switch would not account for even a handful.

I guess I am just old school.
X2!

My favorite warning label is on my push mower. WARNING: Blade spins when engine is running. DUHHHHH HUHHHHH HUHHH I remember the good 'ole days when you could walk away from the mower to pick up a rock or something and didn't have to re-start it. Many thanks to slimey lawyers

I am old school. And proud of it
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
Um, what's a kick stand switch got to do w the clutch switch? That's kinda two different things, isn't it?
The clutch switch works in conjunction with the neutral switch and sidestand switch.

I could swear that my Zuki would let you put it in gear with the sidestand down IF the clutch was pulled in.......and would die when you let the clutch out.
Of course, IT required the clutch to start.....which was a pain in the *** because the choke wouldn't stay all the way out and you came up short one hand.

Not so with the Vulcan; it dies immediately if you put it into gear with the stand down, clutch or no.
So I guess with the Kaw, the clutch and sidestand switches don't have much, if anything, in common.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page