Fuel petcock - Page 3 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Learning everyday
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Ok, I'm going to come clean with you guys and rip me shreds if you want...My factory petcock quit working years ago...So I run it either wide open in the prime position when riding, or in the "ON" position when I park the bike...It dont leak and all four of my bowls, (needle valves & seats) work perfectly in shutting the flow off when the bowls reach the proper fuel levels...Been that way for years. I dont condone this practice to anyone and especially not to anyone who dont fully understand to set float bowl fuel levels or how maintain the seats and needles...I do have plans to rebuild the petcock this winter....And hey, you old birds need to get up to speed and join the rest of us on facebook! This is the twenty first century after all and big brother has bigger fish to fry than Canucks & Tennessee Hillbilly's...Meaning you KawPaul and KZCop! "Take a walk of the wild side"

Reeeeeeaaaallly?! Hehe, thanks for sharing

Im with you on the possibilities of what could happen. I remember reading early on in learning about the bike, the importance of turning off my manual valve in the event of float needle and seat failure.

All honesty, I missed it once and caught it the next day ( no harm no foul because the bowls are functioning correctly).

Im also with Hoyt on the fact that my failing vacuum petcock was leaking quite a bit when I brought the bike home.
Wasnt really sure how long any rebuild would last so I opted for the manual. I also don't have an option for pure gas within 50 miles of the NW burbs to extend the life of a rebuild.

Get that auto tap rebuilt Mr Zoro!
zoro and Hoyt Clagwell like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:45 PM
GHOSTRIDER

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to zoro
You got it buddy, it's at the top of my winter project list as well as getting the fuel gauge repaired. I think my Dyna coils fried the sending unit when they were firing 30,000 volts right into the bottom of the tank? Oh and here's a little lesson I learned the hard way involving those coils...I had just finished washing the bike and was unaware of the inadvertent 30,000 volt discharge through the tank. I straddled the bike, (Wet jeans of course) and hit the start button and like always, she fired right up and I took several 30,000 volt hits right to my NUTS where my crotch contacted the tank! YIKES!!! Thank God for kill switches!

"GHOSTRIDER" 1980 KZ1000ST-E2 ~Michael Hill~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:11 AM
Queasy Rider
BTK Expert

WOWSERS!!!!!!

Did you gain any superpowers?

Look, up on the roof,
It's .........

SCROTUMMAN!
Faster than a tazered tom cat,
Able to weld steel with his bare gland,
Able to burn down large buildings with a single pee,
jeff80kz1000E2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Learning everyday
BTK Expert

Well, apologies to the original poster, we have officially hijacked the thread.......

Ouch Zoro, that doesn't sound pleasant!
Im lucky I suppose that my sending unit is still good as I in fact had some arcing to the tank until I mounted those coils differently.
zoro likes this.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

No worries about hijacking. I'm glad that I leaned about the arcing and roasting nuts over a fuel tank. Lol

To update: I'm still out of town but I have gotten the petcock from the concours and ordered the kit. I also just rebuilt the carbs but didn't set the float. I was thinking about needing to do it when I was reading zoro's post.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:35 AM
GHOSTRIDER

Garage
Checking float bowl fuel levels is usually done before setting the float heights. Check the fuel levels once the carbs are mounted and bike is level. If the fuel levels are within an 1/8" of the float bowl mating gasket, your good to go and dont have to mess with setting float height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok so I've checked the fuel bowl levels and all are at 4mm from the mating surface which is the bottom of the spec of 3mm+/-1mm. Will the lean of the bike being on the side stand mess with it? The reason I ask is thinking back I don't think that it leaks while on the center stand. I have the carbs sitting level and they're not leaking at the moment.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Queasy Rider
BTK Expert

If your measurements are accurate, then that should be fine. The fact that they are all the same is also good. I usually start my bike while holding it upright for the reason you mention but it's actually started just fine any time that I have started it while it was on the side stand.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:17 AM
GHOSTRIDER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire ranger 18 View Post
Ok so I've checked the fuel bowl levels and all are at 4mm from the mating surface which is the bottom of the spec of 3mm+/-1mm. Will the lean of the bike being on the side stand mess with it? The reason I ask is thinking back I don't think that it leaks while on the center stand. I have the carbs sitting level and they're not leaking at the moment.
Yes, you cannot get an accurate reading if the bike is on the leaning over on the kick stand. You take your float bowl fuel level measurements while the bike is level (on the centerstand)...You check your oil through the sight glass the same way, always level. You dont have to have the bike on the centerstand to check the oil level, just balance the bike with your right hand on the right handlebar while you squat down to look into the sight glass. (bike level just like your riding)...The bowls should not (NOT) leak out of the overflows on the kickstand either. They shouldn't even leak eating green eggs and ham! 4mm is indeed at the bottom edge of spec, but if your not pinning that tach and running her through all the gears for sustained top end wide open throttle runs, 4mm's is fine...It's a good practice to store your bike either on the centerstand, or with a block of wood under the kickstand to help the oil drain out of the head evenly and not pool against the cam plugs on the left side...

Last edited by zoro; 10-02-2015 at 02:20 AM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I wasn't clear. When I checked the bowl levels the carbs were level and to the best of my memory when it has leaked it has been on the side stand. I have received my new petcock kit but I haven't had a chance to put it in yet because I'm recovering from surgery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page