Dunking My Carbs - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Dunking My Carbs

Hello All. Was wondering what you all use to dunk your carbs in to clean them. I see some use Pinesol or carb cleaner made by Berryman (I think). Not worried about grease, but mainly getting rid of gunk/varnish in the internal passages. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Lew

82 KZ1000 J2
06 H-D FXD35
70 Suzuki T350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 AM
BTK Expert

If dunking the entire assembled carb rack, you have to be careful about what solvent to use as some of them will deteriorate rubber & plastic. Pinesol has changed their formula in the last few years, so it no longer contains pine oil, so that has to be taken into consideration when referencing anyone's experience using the stuff --- old topics may not be applicable any more. ??? ... I guess a suitable alternative would be Pine-O-Pine which has more pine oil than the original pinesol had.

For dunking just the carb bodies & other metal parts, I use the original formula Berryman's Carb Parts cleaner in the 1 gal paint type can with dipping basket (very handy). The "equivalent" reformulated product would be Berryman's professional parts cleaner (#0901)(0950 dipping basket). If you get the professional dip, I would get a 1 gal paint can or contact Berrymans to see if they can send you an empty paint-type can. The bottom of mine rusted, so they shipped one out for free (#0996 96 oz). I coated the seams of the new can with wheel bearing grease.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

Last edited by martin-csr; 09-24-2015 at 08:57 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:00 AM
GHOSTRIDER
Forum Supporter

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to zoro
Howdy Lew, I've never used the Berrymans dip for the simple fact that you cant submerge the whole carb rail. I simply use a large plastic oil changing pan and a couple of cans of carb cleaner. (Wear Safety Goggles or Safety Glasses)...I'll dismantle one or two carbs at a time and use an assortment of household goodies to clean them. Tooth bruches, Q-tips, pipe cleaners, torch tip cleaners, and my favorite trick is a 6" piece 30 or 40 pound test nylon monofilament fishing line. You spin it between finger tips as you push it through the various passages. I keep a can of Acetone handy for the tough varnish and a couple cans of aerosol Dust Away (Computer Keyboard Duster) to blow the passages clean and dry. Works great, especially if you dont have an air compressor.,..I've been meaning to try the Pinesol but havent yet and I like Mike Folks idea of boiling the whole carb rack in a lemon juice solution. Ive read where that gets the carb castings shiny clean. But I've been doing mine for years in that old dedicated plastic oil change pan. Be sure to place all the needles, jets, and rubber parts in a bowl before cleaning with Carb cleaner because some of that stuff will melt the rubber. I soak then in off the shelf 95% alcohol...Hope this helps... ~Ghostrider~

"GHOSTRIDER" 1980 KZ1000ST-E2 ~Michael Hill~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:51 PM
BTK Expert

I've seen reports that lemon juice ruined brass parts. A quick cleaning with the stuff might not hurt, but you might not want to soak them overnight or longer. I'd probably test a junk part first.

zoro likes this.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Thank you both. Will take the carbs off my KZ and rip em apart this weekend. I guess what I will do/use is dependent on how nasty they look.

Lew

82 KZ1000 J2
06 H-D FXD35
70 Suzuki T350
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 04:44 AM
GHOSTRIDER
Forum Supporter

Garage
Just to clarify dismantling and ripping apart carbs. The manuals and personal experience warns against taking the carbs off the rail. It's ok to dissassemble the individual carbs and their individual parts, but leave the carb castings attached to the rail to eliminate alignment and location issues. Heres a link for the Mikuni BS carb rebuilding procedure... Microsoft PowerPoint - Mikuni BS (CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial-1 - Mikuni_BS-CV_Carburetor_Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

That's an excellent manual. Someone here turned me on to it a while back and it has been invaluable. Thanks.

Lew

82 KZ1000 J2
06 H-D FXD35
70 Suzuki T350
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:47 PM
itching to ride
BTK Expert

You better get to stepping old injun and break down and buy you an air compressor.

1986 LTD 454
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:17 AM
GHOSTRIDER
Forum Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawpaul View Post
You better get to stepping old injun and break down and buy you an air compressor.
I've got three, only one working at the moment. Those little aerosol cans of dust away are so handy with those little red tubes...And so much quieter too. PS. Hows it going Lew, riding yet?

Last edited by zoro; 10-03-2015 at 10:19 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 AM
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
I've got three, only one working at the moment. Those little aerosol cans of dust away are so handy with those little red tubes...And so much quieter too. PS. Hows it going Lew, riding yet?
Don't nobody around here ride! What got in to you, asking silly questions like that?
zoro and kzcop like this.

Mike
Original Owner
1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page