22 miles for a whole tank of gas? - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
22 miles for a whole tank of gas?

Hey all! I have a 1985 Kawasaki ZN 1100 B Shaft drive. I finally got it to the point that I could ride. Took it to run some errands and to a buddy's house to help him with some things real quick.

On the ride home, all of a sudden it's acting like it's out of gas. I just filled up this morning and reset the trip meter. Trip is reading 22.3 miles. I'm thinking "There's no way i'm out of gas. It's only been 22 miles!" So when I get home, I pull the seat off and lift up the back end of the tank and sure as ****, it's pretty much empty.

There's no leaks anywhere. No gas sitting on anything. Everything seems like it's working just fine. I have absolutely no idea how I could have run through an entire tank of gas in 22 miles. I was hoping someone had encountered this issue before or at least had an idea of what it might be.

The only thing I can think of is that the petcock is messed up and it's sucking gas into the vacuum line hooked to it. I'm running all stock jets and exhaust. No upgrades or modifications of any kind. The only thing that isn't stock is the Idle Air Mixture is 2.25 turns out instead of the stock setting. Other than that, I have no ideas. Thoughts?

1985 ZN1100 B2 Shaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 05:54 PM
BTK Expert

Floats are either stuck or out of adjustment and the fuel is goin through the carb float bowl overflow onto the ground

--------------------------------------------------
Jim
1979 kz1000b ltd
stage 3 cams
pod air filters
4-1 open exhaust(no muffler)
full rewire
dyna-s ignition
dyna 3 ohm coils
Jim823 likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:40 PM
BTK Expert

Pull the carbs and clean them.

I just did that to my ZN700 and it's getting 50mpg on the road. My idle mixture screws are set at 1 1/2 turns from the bottom. It starts instantly and runs great like that.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I just did a carb clean and the floats are good to the best of my ability to fix them. No idea where to go from here.

1985 ZN1100 B2 Shaft
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:37 PM
BTK Expert

At least turn the idle mix screws in.

How did you set the floats? My manual has a supplement to the KZ750 Shaft manual for the ZN700 and it doesn't address the float setting specifically for the ZN700 while the carbs are apart. It does give a setting for Kiehin carbs for the 750s which is obviously incorrect for my carbs. But, there is a procedure to check the setting with the engine running by hooking up a clear tube to the bowl drain, opening the drain screw and holding it up to see where the level is in relation to the carb body. Check the float level settings with the plastic tubes while the engine is idling and see if they are correct.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Last edited by RoadRunner322; 05-25-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's exactly how I checked them when I did the full clean. I first checked where the height was when it was on the bench by filling the bowls and using the clear tube and then I did it again when it was installed on the bike. I can't remember off hand what the measurement was but I got the number from someone else here on the forum who has the same era bike.

Interestingly enough, I pulled the valve cover today just to see if anything looked off in there. I have a gas like substance sitting around the camshafts, the vacuum port where the reed valves are on the exhaust side was covered in black goo (looked like oil sludge), Looking through the spark plug hole I can see a bunch of black goo on the intake valve of #4 cylinder, and the piston head almost looks rusty...

I have no idea what I should do for sure but I'm leaning towards top end rebuild? Perhaps it's a compression issue due to leaky valves? Could that cause an inconsistent idle and also cause it to die when throttle is applied?

I'm going to start a new thread on this as well so that this question doesn't get lost under a separate title.

1985 ZN1100 B2 Shaft

Last edited by Rich Hardin II; 05-25-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: additional information
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:59 PM
BTK Expert

That's pretty typical of flooding carbs. Fuel runs in the cylinder past the rings breaks the carbon loose and makes a black goo.

Jim
1979 kz1000b ltd
stage 3 cams
pod air filters
full rewire
dyna-s ignition
dyna 3 ohm coils
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimray23 View Post
That's pretty typical of flooding carbs. Fuel runs in the cylinder past the rings breaks the carbon loose and makes a black goo.

Jim
1979 kz1000b ltd
stage 3 cams
pod air filters
full rewire
dyna-s ignition
dyna 3 ohm coils

Flooding as in the floats aren't floating or the needles aren't sealing? That idea was actually just presented to me on the phone by a friend of mine who is a semi mechanic who also has experience elsewhere of course.

1985 ZN1100 B2 Shaft
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 PM
BTK Expert

Most likely the float valves are stuck or the the floats are just out of adjustment.

Jim
1979 kz1000b ltd
stage 3 cams
pod air filters
full rewire
dyna-s ignition
dyna 3 ohm coils
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 PM
BTK Expert

When you do the clear tube test to check the floats. The fuel line should come up to about the red line when setting on the center stand. About 1/8 inch from the float bowl mating surface on most of these carbs.

Jim
1979 kz1000b ltd
stage 3 cams
pod air filters
full rewire
dyna-s ignition
dyna 3 ohm coils

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page