Keihin CV carb issues - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Keihin CV carb issues

I have owned a 1982 kz750-n1 (Spectre) for about 5 years.
It has about 34k miles on it

It has been parked for about a year and a half. New plug wires, new plugs, new air filter, new carb boots. Fuel does get to the bowls, I made sure to set the float height. Carbs have been cleaned multiple times and yet I still have a no start condition.

Carbs have keihin 1526tk20 stamped on the side. The bike runs on starting fluid so I have spark ruled out. Jets are clean. I just can't get this bike to run on gas. I lost the sheet that i had written the pilot screw Location (turns out) on it. Anybody have any info on these carbs, I can't find anything on them. I want to buy new pilot screws for it as well Any tips for at least getting it running? I have carb sticks so I can sync them when it gets running.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Last edited by racewayelko; 07-15-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 PM
BTK Beginner

Probably a stupid question but the fuel hasn't been standing for the time the bike was laid up has it?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Current Bike: 1982 KZ1000LTD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Not stupid. 1 Week old 91 non oxy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM
BTK Expert

My ZN700 has Keihin carbs and the idle mixture screws are set at 1 1/2 turns off the bottom. And initial setting of 2 turns out would be a good starting point. How did you clean the carbs. When I cleaned mine recently, I just removed the diaphram covers, fuel bowls, and the jets and emulsion tubes. Did you remove the plastic jet plugs and clean inside? Then I used a weld tip cleaning kit to poke through all the holes in the jets, emulsion tubes, and carbs. I also sprayed carb cleaner into all the orifices. That worked well. Before cleaning the carbs, I did put a lot of Gumout with PEA in the gas and kept running it daily and that started the cleaning process but it wouldn't do the entire job so I ended up removing the carbs.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

I went one by one and stripped them top to bottom spraying carb clean in everything and making sure it came out the other side. Took all the brass parts and ran them through my ultrasonic cleaner with a 1:1 mix of vinegar and water, then sprayed with carb clean, making sure to see it come out of the small holes in the sides of the orifices. Yes I did take the plastic plug off and pulled those parts too. I had to use just a touch of silicone spray on the o rings of the plastic plugs to get them to slide back in.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 AM
BTK Expert

The CV34s have a real choke. If the bike doesn't start, replace the pilot (called slow jets) jets. These are plugged or obstructed and the bike isn't getting a rich enough mix at start with the choke on. The plastic plugs over the slow jets must be in place as gas is drawn through the main jet well and not the bowl itself.

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The CV34s have a real choke. If the bike doesn't start, replace the pilot (called slow jets) jets. These are plugged or obstructed and the bike isn't getting a rich enough mix at start with the choke on. The plastic plugs over the slow jets must be in place as gas is drawn through the main jet well and not the bowl itself.
Making sure I am reading right, replace them even though they look okay right?

I looked on Z1 enterprises and I can't seem to find the mixture screws, I want to replace those as well, one of the slotted heads is getting pretty gnarly.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:23 AM
BTK Expert

I checked partzilla and they don't have it but it appears that ebay does.

Carb Carburettor Repair Kit Kawasaki KZ 750 N1 Spectre 1982 to 1983 | eBay

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 PM
itching to ride
BTK Expert

Listen to wiredgeorge he is a carb man. Meaning he works on carbs for a pay. Or at least used to. Not sure what he does now. He may be enjoying the beaches of Maui for all I know.

Pilot jets are usually the culprit in such situations and I had to take a needle and drive it thru a couple of mine to unblock them before they would work like they are designed to. I was in the cards several times and still had issues until I made sure the pilot jets were open. That was on an old '83 GPz I had. Basically the same engine but it ran Mikuni carbs.

A yeah and a half with any ethanol in the carbs is a recipe for screwed up carbs. 3 months is more than enough in most instances with these tine jets imo.

1986 LTD 454
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:41 AM
BTK Expert

wiredgeorge is headed up to his shop to work on carburetors right now for our 13th year of licensed carburetor rebuild/sell business. My missus has retired and I just bought a toy hauler so will be seeing more weekends in RV parks in Texas but the business is still going strong. I will never fully retire as I would probably go nuts or the missus would kill me if I lounged around the house during the day.

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page