KZ440 Tube to Tubeless Tire Conversion - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

KZ440 Tube to Tubeless Tire Conversion

Hello Friends,

My original 1983 KZ440 LTD came with mag wheels and tubes in the tires. For years I just ran them that way. Figuring the factory put tubes in there for a reason. Well this week I had a blow out in the rear tire. Picked up 1.5 inch nail.

So I decided enough with the old tubes and converted it to a tubeless tire. I bought a clamp-on valve stem from NAPA. The part number is 90-426 and cost less than $4. It fit right in the hole. No drilling required.

Next I bought a SHINKO 777 130/90-16 73H tire from American Moto Tire. Got a great price and came in two days. Can't beat that.

The SHINKO 777 130/90-16 73H HD is a heavy duty tire and should last me for a lot of miles. The tire is much stiffer than the tube tire I took off, so the ride is much firmer and I am only running 21 psi in the rear. Who knows, these tires might run fine with no air in them at all. The sidewall is really that stiff. I don't know if I like them at this point. Might take some getting used to them. I only put 8 miles on it so far, so I can't say much more. If it lasts longer than the 8,000 to 9,000 miles I used to get out of a rear tire, I will be happy.

I wish I did this years ago.

Oh, the front tire was converted to a tubeless tire by the previous owner. I never knew it until I replaced that tire with a CONTINENTAL CONTI GO! 3.25-19 54H FRONT. I like this tire a lot. Grips well, does not track in grooves and has been wearing very well. This one has been on the bike for about 3,000 miles.

When I put some more miles on the tires, I will report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirider View Post
Hello Friends,

Oh, the front tire was converted to a tubeless tire by the previous owner. I never knew it until I replaced that tire with a CONTINENTAL CONTI GO! 3.25-19 54H FRONT. I like this tire a lot. Grips well, does not track in grooves and has been wearing very well. This one has been on the bike for about 3,000 miles.
Correction... I have 4,300 miles on the front tire. Not 3,000. I was guessing when I wrote it, but then I checked. It still looks like new.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 AM
BTK Expert

Do your wheels have Tubeless cast into them? That's usually a consideration when going without tubes.
The 1983 KZ650-CSR had the same front wheel but it did not use tubes, so if yours are the stock tubeless wheels, then I wouldn't worry about ditching the tubes.

As for the stiffness of the tire, the Dunlop GT501 has a stiff bead as does the Bridgestone Battlax BT45. I'd guess most tubeless tires are pretty stiff. One exception I know of are the Dunlop 404s which have a very soft bead. Some are hard because they are high mileage tires, but don't have very good grip, especially on wet pavement. I prefer good grip over mileage. But I'd guess you already know this.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
Do your wheels have Tubeless cast into them? That's usually a consideration when going without tubes.
The 1983 KZ650-CSR had the same front wheel but it did not use tubes, so if yours are the stock tubeless wheels, then I wouldn't worry about ditching the tubes.

As for the stiffness of the tire, the Dunlop GT501 has a stiff bead as does the Bridgestone Battlax BT45. I'd guess most tubeless tires are pretty stiff. One exception I know of are the Dunlop 404s which have a very soft bead. Some are hard because they are high mileage tires, but don't have very good grip, especially on wet pavement. I prefer good grip over mileage. But I'd guess you already know this.

Hello martin-csr,

Thanks for your response!

My front wheel clearly has "TUBELESS" stamped in the wheel. So no problem there. Why Kawasaki put a tube in there from the factory, I don't know. Maybe tubed tires and a tube was cheaper than a tubeless tire.;<)

My rear wheel does NOT have "TUBELESS" stamped in the wheel. It has "J 16XMT2.50 DOT" stamped in the wheel. I was told the "MT" stands for Motorcycle Tubeless. I was also told, it would say "WM" if the wheel required tubes. So I should be good to go.

As far as the stiffness of the rear tire goes, I think I am just going to have to get adjusted to it. My old tubed tires was very soft and had a very flat profile. Almost like a car tire. But it was a motorcycle tire. 4.60x16. The new Shinko 777 HD has a very round sports like profile. And its about 6" taller than the old tire. So I sit a good 3" higher on the bike than I used to. Maybe I will grow a bit. :<)

I just think I need to put some miles on the bike and will like the setup. It just feels very strange to me right now.

I just hope all this rain stops soon so I can ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170731_151722331.jpg (203.1 KB, 5 views)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

I have put about 200 miles on the new tire, so its broken in now. I am liking it better and better all the time. I can lean into the turns much further than ever. I guess I was used to that old squared off tire I had before. And the biggest thing is now even though I am leaned over much further, I am not dragging my center stand like I used to. So the taller tire raised the frame 3". And my gears ratios have all changed. They are higher. Maybe my fuel economy will improve...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page