1980 KX750G Project - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Looking for info, and possibly known sources y'all use, for engine info and parts. I just picked this half thrown together project up for a mere $250 US. May have overpaid, I'll be honest. Not much works and numerous shade tree mechanics have made rediculous attempts at repairs. Long story short I have my work cut out. I am actually considering getting a different KZ750 and using this one for parts..

Someone tried to make this into cafe style racer..no rear shocks, no paddi g on seat, loose screws everywhere..antifreeze , I think, in the rusty fuel tank. Has good compression but no spark..Open to your guys opinions on this one..

This is my first post here. 🙂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180602_184218_1528029606217.jpg (294.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180602_184231_1528029624614.jpg (319.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Jason Whalen; 06-03-2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Typo. It's a KZ750G project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 AM
BTK Expert

I believe the KZ750 Twin engine was pretty much unchanged through the entire model run from 1976-83.

The 750G Ltd II is probably most similar to the 76-79 750B models, and I'm pretty sure they have the same points ignition. The 82-83 750M/K models had electronic ignition which you can install on your bike. You can use the pulsing coil (ignition plate w pickup) from a KZ440, but you'd need the advancer from the 750M/K. The charging systems can vary & I'm not sure how interchangeable they are, but you can probably stick with what you have.

The motorcycle needs a good, fully charged battery to power the ignition system & run right.
You should check it with a digital multimeter & do a load test.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:15 AM
BTK Expert

For parts, first thing I do is check the diagrams at Partzilla, then search the full part number over on eebbaayy to see if NOS is available, either for purchase at reasonable cost or for a good photo to see what a new part looks like. Then I search the part by name & alternate moniker.

Z1Enterprises . com has maintenance & other stuff for the motorcycle. If you need to do wiring, they have colored wire which is kind of handy, so that you can try to keep things close to stock & similar to the wiring diagram.

A motorcycle salvage yard might have some stuff. There was a good one near me, but it closed down a couple of years ago.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page