Yeah thinking of switching out my airbox on my 454.
Bike been sitting for awhile due to me not not wanting to fix front brake that just stopped stopping.
Finally getting around to getting it back on the road and my carbs were leaking out the top of the bowls.
I have taken these carbs off a few times over the years and they always a pain so I am thinking seriously of going to pods. I developed a technique with my old gpz to where it was not much trouble to remove the carbs and reinstall but this little twin is so much harder to where I am willing to mess with individual filters and tinker till I get them squared away.
Also there is the issue of the fuel filter. There is little room for one due to tank design but I installed an inline that is designed for those old cars but I had to shoehorn it down between the carbs and it is probably due for a replacement. It is impossible to get at with the airbox on so that is another reason to go streamline with pods.
I might or might not need some suggestions on jet sizes. As far as I know the bike is stock but does have the baffles removed from the exhaust. Also there is this little idea of restricting air flow with pods installed that some have found success with. (see link below) I may try something similar before tackling a jetting swap. Will welcome any ideas from this knowledgeable bunch.
I been toying with that idea. Looks kind of tight in there behind the carbs so not sure how much room I have to work with.
That does seem like a jetting change would be in order as it might create a ram effect of sorts. The cone idea is to limit the airflow so as to eliminate enlarged jets so extending the intake would not help in that regard. It is going to be fun sorting it out but will no doubt take time.
From what I've read, a reason pod filters are problematic is that the airflow is right at the carb opening & that's one of the reasons it's unstable. I've also heard of adding an open enclosure around the individual pod filters, which should at least mitigate side wind issues. ???
I'm a rank amateur with no hands on experience with this, so what do I know. LOL.
Ever see the commercial on TV where the cute young gal is talking to someone and says she is dating a French model?? The guy come up and is obviously a dorky type and says BONJOOR in a midwestern accent. The gal remarks, I saw that he was a French model on the internet and if it is on the internet, it must be true.
While putting soccer cones on your pods may be a sporty look, might be easier to rejet. Stock mains are just a shade over 120 so go to about a 135 to 140 main. These are called secondary mains but the jets are just ordinary Keihin main jets. Bump the pilot to a #38 (called slow jet). The bike will run fine. Trying to replumb around to limit or control air flow might work but would be a bit frustrating for me.
Mains are 125 and pilots are 35 according to haynes manual. I'd rather just rejet as I feel there is a bit of power to be gained as opposed to choking the air flow to avoid rejetting.
Those mini soccer cones though go on the inside of the pods I believe and only the top part at that. The idea is to restrict airflow to airbox normal volumes I believe.
Thanks wired for the numbers on the jet sizes. That is what I wanted to know. I just did not want to buy a lot of jets to try out till I got the ones that work best. I'd rather talk to someone who has been there and knows which would be the best to start with.
I am just now getting this bike back on the road. Tried a chinese master cylinder which I never could get to work so back to ebay. I found one from a honda 450 rebel that fits like it was made for the bike and I was able to use it so I now have brakes. Funny but when your front brakes work the back ones suddenly seem to work better as well.
I decided to go with 38 pilot jets and 132 on the mains. Fuel jets were set at 2 -1/2 turns out and I shimmed the jet needles with a single washer initially since they are not of the adjustable type.
I first tried them with the ducts from the airbox between the pods and carbs. It ran pretty well except for a lag between 4 and 6 grand. I pulled the ducts and ran with just the pods and she ran a bit worse. I was now getting stumbling around 2000 rpms so I added another washer under the jet needles. Much better but still a bit of throttle lag so using a tip I got from the 454 site I cut about 3 coils from the springs on top of the diaphragms. That did the trick and now the bike pulls well from any rpm range.
I would like to thank everyone here who offered advice and those on the 454 LTD forum as well. Having a solid starting point made things go a lot smoother and no doubt quicker as well. It eliminated a lot of the trial and error that often goes into setting up individual filters and I only had to buy one set of mains and pilots.