ZN 1100 Regulator wiring help please - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

ZN 1100 Regulator wiring help please

So I recently bought a 1984 ZN 1100 with melted wires between alternator and regulator/rectifier (RR)

When I got the bike home I noticed that the 6 pin plug that goes into the RR had been cut off and the wires were taped over.

The alternator tests fine and the RR tests bad and I have ordered a new plug and a new RR.

My problem is that because the plug was cut off, I am having trouble figuring out how to connect the 6 wires to the new plug. The ZN RR does not come with a pigtail because the male flat pins are made right into the RR.

The wiring diagram is not helpful as it is a schematic and there is no way to relate it to the RR or the plug as the RR has no pin numbers on it. If anyone has a photo of their plug or their RR that might show the how it is wired, I would be very grateful for that. I am new here but I will try to post a picture of my RR with labels that show how I think the wires connect. The left side is Brown, the right side is Black/Yellow and the middle is White/Red. But there is a 50/50 chance that I have the Brown reversed with the Black/Yellow and I don't want to blow up a brand new RR.

Sorry. I tried to upload a photo but it seems it won't work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 PM
BTK Expert

I looked at my ZN700 manual and it appears to be different. It has a pigtail with a plug. Looking at the plug with the catch on the top it has a brown on the upper left, white/red upper middle and black on the upper right (battery negative). The bottom 3 are all battery positive (yellow).

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner322 View Post
I looked at my ZN700 manual and it appears to be different. It has a pigtail with a plug. Looking at the plug with the catch on the top it has a brown on the upper left, white/red upper middle and black on the upper right (battery negative). The bottom 3 are all battery positive (yellow).

Thanks RoadRunner, according to Google the 1985 LTD Shaft ZN700-A2 takes the same RR as mine. Will your pigtail unplug from the RR? The Kawi part number for mine is 21066-1055.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 AM
BTK Expert

WFO-KZ, what voltage regulator did you get? If it's from Electrosport or Rick's, they might be able to tell you which terminals are which.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
BTK Expert

According to the parts diagram on partzilla.com, the pigtail does unplug from the R/R. The pigtail is shown as unavailable. I'll try to get to looking at the bike today to see if I can tell you what wires go where. My bike does have the same part # R/R as yours according to partzilla.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka...ical-equipment

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

RR from Fleabay

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
WFO-KZ, what voltage regulator did you get? If it's from Electrosport or Rick's, they might be able to tell you which terminals are which.
I got it from fleabay from a top rated seller. I could reach out and see if they have any info on it. Thanks for the suggestion Martin.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM
BTK Expert

Looking into female connector (goes to reg/rect), locator to top, read left to right:

Top row

brown - white/red - black

Bottom row:

yellow - yellow - yellow
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner322 View Post
According to the parts diagram on partzilla.com, the pigtail does unplug from the R/R. The pigtail is shown as unavailable. I'll try to get to looking at the bike today to see if I can tell you what wires go where. My bike does have the same part # R/R as yours according to partzilla.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka...ical-equipment

I do see that, but I think that is not actually a pigtail. If yours is like mine then that is the sub-harness that travels from the RR down to another connector underneath the battery. If you can easily get a look at it then that would be fantastic. Mine is located underneath the gas tank but the KZ had theirs close to the battery. I hope you have easy access.

For clarity can you advise the location of the brown wire as being either to the left or the right of the notch for the connector locking tab on the RR itself? And since left and right is dependent on how we view the RR can we say if the RR were placed flat on table, with cooling fins facing up, and contact terminals facing the viewer? Is that clear as mud? Maybe a photo if you can manage it??
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:35 AM
BTK Expert

1. Female connector goes to reg/rect.
2. Look into connector where male plugs into, notch on top.
3. Read left to right, top row.....brown, white/red (below notch), black.
4. Bottom row..... all yellows.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Brown & Black reversal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
1. Female connector goes to reg/rect.
2. Look into connector where male plugs into, notch on top.
3. Read left to right, top row.....brown, white/red (below notch), black.
4. Bottom row..... all yellows.

Thanks sfair. That is the reverse of what I thought it was so its a good thing I asked.
Can I ask how you know? Manual, wiring diagram or do you have a ZN-1100?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page