KZ750 engine into an '81 KZ550 LTD? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
Have you actually checked the motor or are you just assuming stuff is worn or beyond spec?
I don't think 43k is a lot of miles for a KZ.

what do you mean by "checked the motor"? if you mean have I checked the bearing clearances- the answer is no. If I do that then may as well rebuild it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:20 PM
BTK Expert

Then I wouldn't assume the motor is shot. maybe it is, but maybe it isn't. So I would do some of the simple stuff mentioned by wiredgeorge. I would change the oil & install a new oil filter. add the correct amount of oil. Shell Rotella 15W-40 regular in the white bottle is a good choice & goes on sale at various places. Clean/check the air filter or install a new one. I would do other stuff as well. Of course first thing is to make sure the oil light isn't just an electrical glitch or low oil. anecdotes abound of an incorrect oil level, both too high & too low. you never know sometimes.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Then I wouldn't assume the motor is shot. maybe it is, but maybe it isn't. So I would do some of the simple stuff mentioned by wiredgeorge. I would change the oil & install a new oil filter. add the correct amount of oil. Shell Rotella 15W-40 regular in the white bottle is a good choice & goes on sale at various places. Clean/check the air filter or install a new one. I would do other stuff as well. Of course first thing is to make sure the oil light isn't just an electrical glitch or low oil. anecdotes abound of an incorrect oil level, both too high & too low. you never know sometimes.

Thanks for the input. As a matter of courtesy and prudence, I do all that stuff well before resorting to the forums. I DO appreciate all of the input but I really just wondered if anyone knew if a swap could be done. As a short background side note- I've been building and rebuilding engines and restoring vehicles for about 40 years so if I might be so bold- having that kind of a background then having someone suggest checking the oil level seems a bit bizarre. If the oil level were too low, it would be doing the opposite of the current issue. I've checked the sensor, all of the electrics and changed the oil and filter at least 5 times even though as previously mentioned- it isn't my bike. However, for the past 10 years or so- been picking up a basket case during the summer then restoring over the winter and shooting some color when warmer weather rolls in. I tried to upload some pics of the 7 bikes and couple of cars currently collecting dust here but all of the
uploads terminated with errors. About 1/2 of them have rebuilt engines but doing those rebuilds is not my favorite pass
time.

maybe there is one last one waiting.

thanks again to everyone who replied.

b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:42 AM
BTK Expert

Okay. You never know sometimes. hee. Glad you didn't get all bent out of shape. some guys don't take too kindly to being second guessed. hee

In case you're looking for an alternate engine, maybe a ZX550 or ZR550 Zephyr.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Okay. You never know sometimes. hee. Glad you didn't get all bent out of shape. some guys don't take too kindly to being second guessed. hee

In case you're looking for an alternate engine, maybe a ZX550 or ZR550 Zephyr.

thanks- I probably should've prefaced my question with more data and previous diagnostics. So a ZX 550 engine will bolt up to those mounts?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:46 PM
BTK Beginner

KZ750 engine into an '81 KZ550 LTD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bille6 View Post
thanks- I probably should've prefaced my question with more data and previous diagnostics. So a ZX 550 engine will bolt up to those mounts?

Kawasaki didnít change the crankcases on any of the air cooled fours so any 400, 500 or 550 engine should fit.

They did, however vary the length of the gearbox output shaft to cater for the various widths of rear wheels.

As an example, Iíve got a 2000 ZR7 engine to put in a GPz750 frame as Iíve put a zxr400 rear end on it with a 160 section back tyre. The GPz is 130 and the zephyr 750 is 150 so theyíve all got different length shafts to allow the sprockets to line up properly.

On another GPz, I just used a 5/8Ē offset front sprocket.

I donít know for sure but it will probably be the same on the 550s and with yours being an LTD, it may need a longer shaft than the non ďcustomĒ models.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr1963 View Post
Kawasaki didnít change the crankcases on any of the air cooled fours so any 400, 500 or 550 engine should fit.

They did, however vary the length of the gearbox output shaft to cater for the various widths of rear wheels.

As an example, Iíve got a 2000 ZR7 engine to put in a GPz750 frame as Iíve put a zxr400 rear end on it with a 160 section back tyre. The GPz is 130 and the zephyr 750 is 150 so theyíve all got different length shafts to allow the sprockets to line up properly.

On another GPz, I just used a 5/8Ē offset front sprocket.

I donít know for sure but it will probably be the same on the 550s and with yours being an LTD, it may need a longer shaft than the non ďcustomĒ models.

Great info thanks for posting & great job making things work- much appreciated!
b
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:40 AM
BTK Expert

By bille6: .... So a ZX 550 engine will bolt up to those mounts?

Direct bolt-on? I don't know & I did say "maybe" for one of those. hee.

It's possible Kawasaki made some changes to the later 550 crankcases. I was looking into the ZR750 for fitment to a KZ650, but I don't think it's a direct bolt-on >> the front engine mounts are different & pretty easy to spot when comparing the crankcases. EB pics can be handy.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
By bille6: .... So a ZX 550 engine will bolt up to those mounts?

Direct bolt-on? I don't know & I did say "maybe" for one of those. hee.

It's possible Kawasaki made some changes to the later 550 crankcases. I was looking into the ZR750 for fitment to a KZ650, but I don't think it's a direct bolt-on >> the front engine mounts are different & pretty easy to spot when comparing the crankcases. EB pics can be handy.

Adapters or custom mounts would be ok . Thanks for posting. I think I have all the info I need at this point which is

time to do just rebuild the thing.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 AM
BTK Expert

Wear in the bearing surfaces won't show in the red idiot light. Pressure from the oil into the riser where the idiot light is attached is where the light will come on. There is an oil pump but it is pretty primitive and gear driven and not given to wearing out. Oil is pushed up into the passage where the oil idiot light sensor is connected then through a journal horizontally and then up into the cylinder head to the cams via journals around a couple of the engine studs. Have you actually every rebuilt a Kawasaki 4 cylinder engine?

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page