Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

GT 550 1987. Cranking but not starting.

604 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RoadRunner322 
#1 ·
So recently picked this bike up at a steal, finally managed to get it cranking over and it sounds good the crank but it’s just not biting. Carbs have been taken off and cleaned, and I’m sure there getting fuel, any way to properly check ? Kinda all new to this tinkering. Pulled out the sparks and cranked it over and only 2 of them I could actually see sparking out of 4. So new sparks plugs are on route, anything I’m missing here as an amateur? Fuel line is on. Battery wired up just want to ride it haha. Any help would be massively appreciated!!

#2 ·
The cylinders, carburetors, spark plugs etc are numbered 1-2-3-4 Left-to-Right as you're sitting on the motorcycle.
1-4 spark plugs are connected to one ignition coil & 2-3 are connected to the other ignition coil. So....

What spark plugs aren't firing? If a matched pair aren't firing, then the problem could be that ignition coil (most likely) or one of the pickups. I would swap spark plugs to see if the problem moves with the plugs. Then if the problem is with a matched pair, I would swap ignition coils to see if the problem moves with the coil.

There's also fuel & air to check, but I would focus on the spark first.

#4 ·
Check the voltage to the coils. usually the red wire is the power wire. Ignition switch ON & kill switch in the RUN position.
The problem could be a broken connection in the ignition switch or handlebar control. or something else. Typical wiring:

Battery pos (+) >> red-white wire >> 20A fuse >> white wire to ignition switch >> yellow wire to handlebar control >> red wire to coils.

#6 ·
I'd do a compression test to see if the engine is okay mechanically. Remove all plugs. Install compression gauge in one cylinder. Open throttle and spin the engine on the starter to see what the gauge reads. Repeat for all four cylinders. If the compression is low, the valves may need to be adjusted. If it is low squirt some oil into the spark plug hole and repeat the test. if the compression reads higher, the rings are worn. If it doesn't read higher, the valves may be maladjusted or burned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.