305 CSR getting back on the road: timing chain tensioner - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

305 CSR getting back on the road: timing chain tensioner

Hello all,

I have a 1982 305 CSR which I stopped riding about 5 years ago. I remember I stopped riding it because of a timing chain noise issue, which I determined at the time was a timing chain tensioner. I can remember that these bikes had an issue and there was a modification to fix this issue, but this is all I can remember.

Can someone point me in a direction on how involved this project would be and what I should expect to need to do to get a bike that hasn't been on the road in 5 years. I'm more of an antique car guy, so I have mechanical experience but I have little knowledge of motorcycles.

Thank you,
Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 PM
BTK Expert

Assuming you don't have the Kawasaki service manual, there's a pdf available on the internet for the KZ305.
The FSM will have specific info for removing, servicing & re-installing the tensioner.
Also, the diagrams at Kawasaki dot com or Partzilla can be handy, as well as EB photos.

I don't know the specifics of your tensioner, but several things to note: read the manual before removing the tensioner or messing with it; don't turn the crankshaft when the tensioner is removed; and do not remove the tensioner mounting bolts only half way.

Mine is different from yours, but I use brake caliper grease to lubricate the tensioner

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I found some forum posts or articles on changing the auto-tensioner to a manual tensioner several years ago when I first had the issue, but I am no longer able to find these articles. I know one of the big Kawasaki forums has become defunct, so maybe they were on that forum.

Is the auto-tensioner issue a problem throughout the models and engines? I see manual tensioner "kits" available, so it seems this must be a common issue for at least some of the models, but I'm not finding info on how to make the modification.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:02 AM

Looking nice
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 AM
BTK Expert

By vetteman61: Is the auto-tensioner issue a problem throughout the models and engines? I see manual tensioner "kits" available, so it seems this must be a common issue for at least some of the models, but I'm not finding info on how to make the modification.

I don't know about the KZ305. Supposedly on some KZ1000s & I'm not certain of the specifics, but under certain throttle conditions, the tensioner pushrod can move forward, over-tightening the cam chain & causing damage. I installed a Krieger/Clem's-Garage manual tensioner on my 1981 KZ650-CSR, but after doing some reading afterwards at the time, I don't think it's necessary. my bike has the cross-wedge type & I don't know what KZ1000 tensioners are supposedly problematic.

Some auto tensioners can be converted to a manual type & the specifics are dependent upon the tensioner. All tensioners have a push rod that pushes against a cam chain guide. My bike & the KZ305 have a Hy-Vo cam chain with rubber slipper cam guides >> the tensioner pushes against the Rr slipper guide. To convert a tensioner, one way is to drill & tap the tensioner body so that an adjusting bolt can be installed thru the body. The new/long adjusting bolt would have a lock nut. You would then adjust the tension by turning in the new adjusting bolt the appropriate amount >> usually lightly until it stops, then back it out x number of turns or x number of flats on the bolt head. or something like that.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

OK, thank you for the reply. I've been looking all over trying to find a write up with pictures on this but can't find one anywhere.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
BTK Expert

Do you mean a how-to for converting the tensioner? Compare yours to the diagrams at Partzilla & EB pics. It looks to me that it would be fairly simple to convert as it's already drilled & threaded thru the end where the adjusting bolt would go.

But I don't know if it's necessary or worth the trouble on a 305. The 1000 has a much more powerful engine & I think most tensioner failure would have occurred at the race track, but don't quote me on that. hee. I thought Ape Racing had a description of the problem, but I couldn't find it.

ps: I may be wrong about your bike having a Hy-Vo cam chain as the drawing shows a roller chain, but it does have the rubber slipper guides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in