Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Wheel advice please !

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  84ninja900 
#1 ·
Hi
Hoping someone can assist with a problem on a 1980 kz1000.
Working on bike and hoping to up the rear wheel size from a 16 to 17” .
However can’t get a new rim with 48 holes , so wondering if anybody knows of any other Kawasaki which has a 17” spoked wheel which would fit, with 40 holes , or less , or a 17” with 48.
I suspect , but don’t know, that the 16”, 48 hole rim was for American markets only ?

Many thanks
Cheers

#2 ·
What KZ1000 is it & how many spokes do the wheels have? Also, Rr disk or drum? just to be sure of what you have.
I'm not aware of any KZ models with 17" spoked rear wheel >> they were either 16" or 18".
Buchanan's may have what you're looking for.

In the USA the 1980 & earlier KZs had 40-spoke wheels w 18" Rr.
The 81-82 KZ1000M CSR had 48-spoke wheels w 16" Rr.
The 82 KZ750M CSR had 40-spoke wheels w 16" Rr.

#3 ·
Hi
It’s a 1980 kz1000 American import with 16 “ rear wheel that I really want to increase, hopefully to a 17” , but would go with an 18”.
As I said there are 48 spokes , but cannot find anywhere that do a rim with that many spokes.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Ian

#6 ·
By Jasper750twin: As I said there are 48 spokes ,

You didn't exactly specify that's how many spokes your wheels had & I didn't want to assume anything. I asked about what model it is, because there wasn't a 1980 USA KZ1000 w 48-spoke wheels. I'll guess it's an 81 CSR & you're using the date of manufacture which isn't necessarily the model year. just guessing. It helps to know the exact model.

I have a 1981 KZ650-CSR w 48-spoke wheels w aluminum rims, single disk Fr brake & Rr drum brake.

#11 ·
Many thanks

No other option, as all alloy rims come pre dimpled, and as you say there doesn’t seem to be any 48 hole 17” wheels around.

Cheers
Ian

Actually you can get non-dimpled alloy rims in any width you want. Buchanan carries non-dimpled alloy Sun and Excel rims and will drill them with as many holes as you want. I'm sure other rim suppliers can do the same.

#10 ·
By Jasper750twin: .... No other option, as all alloy rims come pre dimpled, ....

I don't know what that means? There are probably cast alloy wheels that're a direct swap.
The KZ1000P Police & other KZ models had an 18" Rr wheel.

My spokes were rusty, so I looked into replacing them. SS were going to cost over $125 per wheel just for the spokes, so I got cast alloy wheels from a KZ550 Ltd >> they were a direct fit. All I needed were the wheels & Fr brake disk >> everything else swapped >> axles, speedo drive, sprocket carrier, brake panel, etc.

Kind of before w stock wheels, rusty spokes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.