KZ1100D Spectre Title Issues - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

KZ1100D Spectre Title Issues

Hey I guys. I’m new to the forum and the Kawasaki life in general. I just bought what I believe is a 82 Kawasaki Spectre 1100D without a title. I found the previous titled owner’s name on a registration receipt in the saddle bag, then found out he died 15yrs ago. I tracked down his son who agreed to file for a lost title and transfer it to me. But now I’m discovering an interesting problem. The previous owner has what I believe is the original fairing on the front but he decided to reinforce it. He welded a piece of square tube from the head tube to bolt to the fairing and now half of the VIN tag is gone. I have 12 of the 17 characters. Is there anything I can do or is this a parts bike now? I assume the engine VIN is completely different like it is on Honda’s.

Thanks,
Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:58 AM
BTK Expert

The engine VIN is not the same as the VIN on the steering stem as you have noted. Unfortunately the VIN is 17 characters in 1982 and not the 12 of earlier years. The range for the Spectre is JKAKZBD1vCA000001 - 004600. See if the surviving son can access the insurance carrier that had previously insured the bike as they will have record of the VIN I suspect. You could also visit the motor vehicle registration place where the old registration receipt came from and they may have a record. Once you figure out what the VIN is, you can get a replacement plate made and attach it to the steering stem... these are sold and supposedly work as legal replacements.

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I got the VIN. I called the tag office with the tag number and they gave me the full VIN. I didn’t think they would give it to me. I’m having trouble attaching pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:01 PM
BTK Expert

The VIN should also be stamped in the frame, usually on the RH side of the steering head.
There's a guy over at KZ Rider who provides good reproduction vins.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:29 PM

wiredgeorge,

Would you also have the VIN range for the 1983 Kawasaki KZ 4 cylinder 750 LTD F1 Shaft model which was only made this one year?

Thanks,

marshtiger58
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

The guy that welded on the tubing covered up the last few digits of the stamped VIN too. I think I will cut that tubing off, sand it down, and order a new sticker from that KZ Rider guy.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I found out the VIN is JKAKZBD16CA004379. Anything special?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:02 AM
BTK Expert

Nothing special, but from the info at CycleChaos dot com, the VIN confirms that it's a 1982 KZ1100-D1 Spectre.

CycleChaos also has engine number info.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:45 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshtiger58 View Post
wiredgeorge,

Would you also have the VIN range for the 1983 Kawasaki KZ 4 cylinder 750 LTD F1 Shaft model which was only made this one year?

Thanks,

marshtiger58
You might want to try cyclechaos as zedder.com has nothing for the 83 KZ750 you are asking about.
Bike and CD Info

wiredgeorge
Texas Hill Country
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

What is the name of the company that can reproduce the VIN sticker? I have been on their site before but I can’t seem to find it again. Do you think there will be an issue if half the original sticker is missing? Will they find the missing information?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page