Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

KZ1100D Spectre Title Issues

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Tyler J. 
#1 ·
Hey I guys. I’m new to the forum and the Kawasaki life in general. I just bought what I believe is a 82 Kawasaki Spectre 1100D without a title. I found the previous titled owner’s name on a registration receipt in the saddle bag, then found out he died 15yrs ago. I tracked down his son who agreed to file for a lost title and transfer it to me. But now I’m discovering an interesting problem. The previous owner has what I believe is the original fairing on the front but he decided to reinforce it. He welded a piece of square tube from the head tube to bolt to the fairing and now half of the VIN tag is gone. I have 12 of the 17 characters. Is there anything I can do or is this a parts bike now? I assume the engine VIN is completely different like it is on Honda’s.

Thanks,
Tyler

#2 ·
The engine VIN is not the same as the VIN on the steering stem as you have noted. Unfortunately the VIN is 17 characters in 1982 and not the 12 of earlier years. The range for the Spectre is JKAKZBD1vCA000001 - 004600. See if the surviving son can access the insurance carrier that had previously insured the bike as they will have record of the VIN I suspect. You could also visit the motor vehicle registration place where the old registration receipt came from and they may have a record. Once you figure out what the VIN is, you can get a replacement plate made and attach it to the steering stem... these are sold and supposedly work as legal replacements.

#10 ·
What is the name of the company that can reproduce the VIN sticker? I have been on their site before but I can’t seem to find it again. Do you think there will be an issue if half the original sticker is missing? Will they find the missing information?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.