Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Request for Assistance: GPZ750R1 Speedo (meter) Squeaking!

857 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  10th MTN 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Background: I have 1982 GPZ750 R1, all original, 21,000 miles, runs like a top, with a kerker header and dyno jets. My intent is to keep it 100% original and 100% fully functional.

Recently I developed a squeak or rhythmic cherping in the front of the motorcycle. After rebuilding the front and rear master cylinders, and then rebuilding the front and rear calipers, the squeaking continued. I also replaced the wheel bearings front and rear (all of the above needed replacing anyway), but the squeak continued.

Today I disconnected the speedo cable, and the squeaking stopped, so I lubed up the cable with some grease being careful not to grease the top foot or so and re-installed it. The squeaking continued….

I was then able to then isolate the Squeak to the “ACTUAL” speedo meter housing unit.

RFA: I have always been told never allow lubricants to enter the Speedo housing or it will cause the speedo needle to fail. (I think we all know this)

Question is then, how do I lube it? I have every type of lubricant (or I can buy it), but I don’t want to ruin the unit, as a replacement is not likely. I have the service manual but I cannot find any reference to separating the meter housing or lubing of it. Has anyone ever done this before? Is it a sealed unit?

Do any of the old timers have any recommendations as to how I can lube the actually speedo housing unit, without ruining it?

Thank you all in advance for your responses. I’m at loss and not sure what to do.

Pete in SA

See less See more
#2 ·
Meters with round housings & crimp clamping rings aren't intended to be serviced or disassembled, but yours shouldn't be that type. Instead, both of the KZ750-R1 meters should be enclosed in a larger meter housing and the speedo & tach internals are removable, so you should be able to disassemble the meter assy >> see diagrams at Partzilla. I don't know how to repair the squeak. there may be youtube videos.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply Martin,

It is the square type so it can be disassembled. I believe it has a mechanical worm gear that the cable turns that needs just a small dab of grease.

I'll pull it apart over the weekend and post what I find or did.

Pete

#4 ·
Hello all,

I just wanted to close this thread out, I was able to apply some light oil to the rear of the speedo housing and the squeaking is gone/fixed. It was a simple task, 4 bolts for the fairing, 3 small screws for the rear speedo/tac cover, apply small amount of oil, took all of 10 minutes.

Thank you all, Peter in SA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.