Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Kawasaki GT550

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  kawpaul 
#1 ·
Won’t start ??

#2 ·
So, no fuel getting into the engine, or through the carb we’re geussing. Cleaned the carb completely replaced all the jets etc. New spark plugs getting good spark. Fuel is getting into the bowls as when I loosen the screws fuel comes out. Anyone got any idea as I feel like I’m missing something haha

#6 ·
having no air filters might be a factor right

It sounds like the motorcycle has individual pod filters. or will have them. Do you have the stock airbox? If so, I would install the airbox w a new air filter. and check & set everything as per the factory service manual. troubleshooting isn't my forte, though, and don't relish the idea of trying to chase down why it won't start.

#10 ·
A good place to start with the idle mixture screws is about 2 full turns off bottom. My ZN700 that I bought in 2009 with only 1,054 miles on it had the idle mix screws set at 1 1/2 turns off bottom and that seems to work well so I never changed them.

#12 ·
At start up and at idle, it makes little difference if the airbox or pods are in place. The upper end of the rpm range will show the lean condition caused by pods or no air filters and not so much the pilot or enrichener circuits. If there is gas in the bowl, engine vacuum will draw this gas in if the pilot jets are clear. Did you install new pilot jets? In any case, running pods on Teikei carbs isn't a great idea as larger pilot jets or main jets, for that matter, are hard to come by. They can be had but the jets in a jet kit are stock size and won't do well with pods. I would stop looking at the carbs for the time being and look at valve clearances; sounds like there isn't any.

#13 ·
Yeah I had seen them not start with a naked carb but likely they had other issues as well.

I just got through installing new jets in mine and tried starting it without anything behind the carbs and it fired right up. It did not take the gas that well but idled ok.

I will update my thread on pods a bit later as I just finished going that route. Well almost finished. I am in the tuning stage atm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.