Any wiring gurus out there? - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
itching to ride
BTK Expert

Any wiring gurus out there?

On my 454 I can turn on the key switch and the instruments light up just like they are supposed to however the starter will not engage when the ignition is powered up. If I turn the key back a bit to where the lights go out the starter button works. It will not fire like this because the ignition is not powered up.

I have pulled the ignition switch and cleaned everything but still no go. Just the other day it ran fine too but I have had this issue before and it just went away.
I am going to check the connections to the kill switch and start button next and give them a shot of electronic cleaner and hope for the best.

I hate running down electrical gremlins and as they say two heads are better than one.
Has anyone had issues like this?

Btw here is a link to the wiring diagram. Mine is the 2nd one on the page and the first one is of the EN500.
Here's Our Wiring Diagram | THE KAWASAKI EN450 / 454 LTD FORUM

1986 LTD 454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
itching to ride
BTK Expert

Well cleaning up the starter button did the trick. Maybe this thread can help someone else down the road who runs into a similar problem.

For anyone attempting to tackle a wiring issue they should pick up a can of electronic cleaner and have a good volt meter along with a wiring diagram of their particular bike. A small brass brush also comes in handy.

1986 LTD 454
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
itching to ride
BTK Expert

I am a dummy.
Sometimes the simplest answer is the one right under your nose and gets overlooked.

Yesterday I was mulling over the thing and it suddenly dawned on me that I had forgotten about the battery. My battery is good but is undersized for the bike so if it does not start right away the battery loses enough juice to keep from working the starter motor when the lights are on and we all know the headlight comes on with the key. That explains why sometimes things worked like they are supposed to and sometimes they did not.

Well I just wanted everyone to know how senile I must be getting for forgetting something like that and for everybody to always check the simplest things first.

Another thing; this thread has about 40 views and not one person said ''hey check the battery dummy''.
I am kind of disappointed in you all. lol

1986 LTD 454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

Just wanted to say "howdy". I appreciated your post because I am a guitarist and a contractor, so between amps, pedals, power tools, and now my 38 year old motorcycle, my existence kind of depends on clean electrical contacts. I use DeOxit a lot! And even though I am not exactly old (34) I do consider myself to have reduced brainpower when it comes to these matters and can easily see myself overlooking the obvious solution from time to time:0

Cheers!

Derek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page