Mobil 1 Oil to use - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:41 AM
BTK Expert

By VulcanDrifter: But there are various auto oils, particularly for diesels, that have elevated wear additives (although some people think that's going to change) that are rated JASO MA.

Heavy duty oils marketed for diesel engines typically have the anti-wear additives, particularly ZDDP. The MSDS should list the amount of ZDDP (or its equivalent, depending upon the mfg). If not listed, then I won't use it. I use Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo, because they're the least expensive. Valvoline Premium Blue is another heavy duty oil, but I've never seen it on sale at a price remotely comparable to the other two.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:00 AM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDrifter View Post
May be entirely fake news but interesting take on the subject: Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils
That research may be valid but it appears to be very old judging from the prices quoted for oil.

A member of the venture rider forum has bought old 83 and 84 V4 Ventures for $1200 or less and put 200k or so miles on them touring the country, a total of 5 Yamaha Ventures with the water cooled v4s and shaft drives ridden approximately a million miles in total. He said he used the cheapest Dollar Store oil he could find in those engines. He claims to have ridden them hard too such as hours of 100mph across the southwest desert.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:58 PM
itching to ride
BTK Expert

I don't really keep up on oil. I just use one of the three I found recommended here when I first joined about 10 years ago. Those are Rotella T, Mobil Delvac and Chevron Delo. All are 15W-40 diesel oil and I use conventional and not synthetic because I am cheap. This last time I went with the Mobil Delvac because it was about a buck cheaper than the Rotella T at my local wally world.

1986 LTD 454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDrifter View Post
Going out on a limb here but guessing even 20w50 would be within original MFR's spec for the noted motorcycle - depending on ambient temps (especially for air cooled motors - not so much if water cooled). Gets very hot up north (Canada) in the summer (i.e. riding season) and running 20w50 would be perfectly acceptable. I regularly ran 20w50 in 80's inline 4 Hondas for years but have tended to go with the wider spec 15w50 since synthetics became more widely available.
I agree but with a "but". For the engine, sure, I think 20w50 is fine even up north. The problem I've found is with the clutch- it tends to get "sticky" with heavier oils in the cooler mornings when in NC mtns. I notice it as warm as 50-55*F. When started in 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in, the bike will lurch a little. Not an issue with 10w40 or 10w30.
WFO-KZ likes this.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:51 PM
BTK Expert

I've always just assumed the 20W-50 & some of the other heavier oils listed in the owner's manual were for Summer use or otherwise hot or extreme conditions, maybe racing, but the service manual doesn't mention the oil in the racing section.

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:05 PM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
I've always just assumed the 20W-50 & some of the other heavier oils listed in the owner's manual were for Summer use or otherwise hot or extreme conditions, maybe racing, but the service manual doesn't mention the oil in the racing section.
And generally I think so too. I won't make a special oil change but if the timing happens to fall right, I'll use 20w50 in the middle of the summer. Otherwise 10w30 or 10w40 is fine for me. But (there's always a but) mine is a different engine. Being water cooled kind of negates the need for heavier oil as there aren't huge temperature swings like an air cooled bike.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 AM
BTK Expert

A reason I have that theory is that 10W-40 is cast into the oil filler cap on my KZ650, so I figured the heavier oils are for other than normal conditions.

1981 KZ650-CSR w Chevron Delo 15W-40 this time.

Hoyt Clagwell and WFO-KZ like this.

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:45 PM

Sweet CSR!
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:02 AM
Queasy Rider
BTK Expert

FWIW, I used Castrol full synthetic oil when I first bought my '84 Kawasaki inline 4 'cause I thought synthetic was the best. I soon began having clutch slippage issues. Then I learned about the importance of using JASO MA rated oils in these old bikes. Personally, I now use IPONE 10-40. I even contacted them to confirm that the oil did contain the right amount of zinc to reduce wear on the valve lifters. ('can't remember the proper parts per million) I've got 140,000kms (87,000 miles) on the old girl now and she still runs great!
WFO-KZ likes this.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:58 AM
BTK Expert

Good to hear from you again Hoyt!
Never heard of Ipone oil before. Learn something everyday. Expensive stuff.
Hoyt Clagwell likes this.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page