Mobil 1 Oil to use - Page 3 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Queasy Rider
BTK Expert

'good to hear from you as well. 'not sure if I told you but I did get to do the "Dragon" over in Deal's Gap last year. The whole area was awesome!
I know IPONE is a bit on the expensive side but I only need to change my oil once or twice a year these days and I feel better using an oil that is specifically designed for older bikes. On a related note, since I have avoided using gas that contains ethanol, (about 3 years) I have not had any carb clogging or petcock issues at all.
RoadRunner322 and WFO-KZ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:07 PM
BTK Expert

I've been using alcohol free premium in my bikes for a long time but the carbs will still plug up if they sit too long. Almost always, a bottle of fuel injector cleaner Gumout for high mileage engines with PEA in the tank and they clean up. I usually just buy Valvoline motorcycle oil, the dino version. I still only have 5k miles on my ZN700 I'm ashamed to admit.
Hoyt Clagwell likes this.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:32 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
'good to hear from you as well. 'not sure if I told you but I did get to do the "Dragon" over in Deal's Gap last year. The whole area was awesome!
I know IPONE is a bit on the expensive side but I only need to change my oil once or twice a year these days and I feel better using an oil that is specifically designed for older bikes. On a related note, since I have avoided using gas that contains ethanol, (about 3 years) I have not had any carb clogging or petcock issues at all.
Yeah, you pmed a link to the video you made riding the dragon! I enjoyed it very much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Queasy Rider
BTK Expert

I have not had carb problems for about 3 years now but I do add Seafoam pretty regularly because my bike often to sits for 2 or 3 weeks between rides.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:54 AM
Stoopit Moderator
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter

Yeah, you guys with older bikes certainly have to take special precautions and actions. Me, not so much. Mine is a modern 4 cyl engine that loves ethanol-ized regular fuel. And sure, I run some fuel additive if I'm on a trip knowing that a fuel tank is going to be burned that day. Plus mine doesn't sit much except in the winter.

Words aren't children and there's nothing wrong with killing them to clarify a point or keep the peace.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:19 AM

One thing to do is run ethanol free gas whenever possible
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Thanks for for the follow up on this topic I am trying mobil 1 t4 racing oil 10w 40 I will see how how it works for me. By the way is their a flushing that can be done to clean the pan while I have the oil plug out?
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:29 PM

The best synthetic motorcycle oil you can afford is what I'd recommend. Think of it as cheap motor insurance. Might cost what? an extra $15/oil change? approx $30/year for the average rider for motor insurance is cheap. Why worry about whether the less expensive oil is doing it's job?
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

I do agree
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:19 PM
BTK Expert

I don't think there is much difference in oil as long as it meets the spec. On the F150 forum I participate in, one of the members works in an oil co. lab and he keeps telling us we are wasting our money buying synthetic. He uses Pennzoil or Havoline dino in his truck and runs it 7500 miles with testing to confirm it's okay. I do believe in making sure it has the Jaso MA rating for my bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page