post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
BTK Beginner

Mobil 1 Oil to use

Which ones to use in 1979 1000 kz ltd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:46 AM
BTK Expert

For a Mobile 1 product, I would use their Mobile 1 Racing 4T Motorcycle Oil. I think "Racing" in the name is kind of a misnomer, in regards to street use anyway.

For my 1981 KZ650-CSR, I have used Shell Rotella T 15W-40 regular in the white bottle. It has the Japanese JASO-MA rating. I also use Chevron Delo as it's also a heavy duty engine oil marketed for diesel engine use & both usually go on sale at various places.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:49 AM

Regular Mobile 1 Synthetic 15w50 works great and it's a lot cheaper than their motorcycle version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 AM
BTK Expert

15W-50 is probably too heavy for an air-cooled In-Line 4 cylinder, especially up North. It might be fine during Summer in places where it gets hot hot hot.

WFO-KZ likes this.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDrifter View Post
Regular Mobile 1 Synthetic 15w50 works great and it's a lot cheaper than their motorcycle version.
I recommend using only Jaso certified motor oils in motorcycles. Back when his bike was new, car oils were okay but today they don't have the additives a motorcyle engine needs to survive long term and they are too slick for the wet clutches.
WFO-KZ likes this.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
15W-50 is probably too heavy for an air-cooled In-Line 4 cylinder, especially up North. It might be fine during Summer in places where it gets hot hot hot.

Going out on a limb here but guessing even 20w50 would be within original MFR's spec for the noted motorcycle - depending on ambient temps (especially for air cooled motors - not so much if water cooled). Gets very hot up north (Canada) in the summer (i.e. riding season) and running 20w50 would be perfectly acceptable. I regularly ran 20w50 in 80's inline 4 Hondas for years but have tended to go with the wider spec 15w50 since synthetics became more widely available.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner322 View Post
I recommend using only Jaso certified motor oils in motorcycles. Back when his bike was new, car oils were okay but today they don't have the additives a motorcyle engine needs to survive long term and they are too slick for the wet clutches.

The JASO MA spec only has to do with whether the oil is rated for wet clutch operation, that is, whether the oil has friction modifiers. (Rotella T6 Synthetic is an option if strict JASO MA rating is important). Wider rated synthetic oils (like 5w50/10w50/15w50) tend to not have friction modifiers which may compromise wet clutches; I've used plenty of those oils over the years and never had any issues with clutch or starter slippage. I just avoid oils that have "Energy Conserving" (or "Resource Conserving") on the API seal.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:30 PM
BTK Expert

Auto oils today don't have additives like zinc that the old oils had and they don't protect the cams like the old oils did. If you start a newly rebuilt flat tappet cam engine with todays oils the cam will be wiped out pdq. Special breakin oils have to be used in those applications. Stuff like that is why I don't use anything but motorcycle oils in my bikes.
WFO-KZ likes this.

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner322 View Post
Auto oils today don't have additives like zinc that the old oils had and they don't protect the cams like the old oils did. If you start a newly rebuilt flat tappet cam engine with todays oils the cam will be wiped out pdq. Special breakin oils have to be used in those applications. Stuff like that is why I don't use anything but motorcycle oils in my bikes.

But there are various auto oils, particularly for diesels, that have elevated wear additives (although some people think that's going to change) that are rated JASO MA.
WFO-KZ likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM

May be entirely fake news but interesting take on the subject: Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page