kz440 headlight doesn't work - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
By saturnsc2: my left hand switch is a dimmer switch no on & off switch as lights are always on. I have power at the fuse block & a lot of connectors inside the headlight bucket have power as well, just not the headlight connector. my bike's a kz440 ltd not a kz400...

The 400 site has a wiring diagram for your bike. You say there's power to the blue wire. Test for power at the other headlight wires in the headlight bucket: red-yellow (low beam) & red-black (hi-beam) have bullet terminals & are not routed into a plastic connector (my mistake). Toggle the hi-beam switch to check the high beam.

no power low or high. could be a bad ground which might cause this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:14 PM
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsc2 View Post
no power low or high. could be a bad ground which might cause this...

could certainly be a bad ground be but worth checking voltage on the blue wire into the dimmer...
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bille6 View Post
could certainly be a bad ground be but worth checking voltage on the blue wire into the dimmer...
ya I want to get into this over the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

a ground connection is mentioned here does anybody know exactly where it's at? so many wires in there like a bird's nest. I bet it is the ground for the headlight connector as everything else works.... the previous owner installed a win shield on the bike but I had him remove it. the handlebar cables & some wires seem to be miss routed so maybe the connection was taken apart
& then not put back together as the owner said he never rode this at night....
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:55 PM
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
a ground connection is mentioned here does anybody know exactly where it's at? so many wires in there like a bird's nest. I bet it is the ground for the headlight connector as everything else works.... the previous owner installed a win shield on the bike but I had him remove it. the handlebar cables & some wires seem to be miss routed so maybe the connection was taken apart
& then not put back together as the owner said he never rode this at night....

have you tried sticking a meter probe into the ground terminal of the headlight connector to see if you get continuity to the frame?
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bille6 View Post
have you tried sticking a meter probe into the ground terminal of the headlight connector to see if you get continuity to the frame?
no that's a good idea though. I just checked it for power nothing....
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:10 AM
BTK Beginner

Garage
right. if you can establish power going IN to the left control dimmer switch on the blue wire then the problem is inside the switch.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

well here's my findings today. I took a volt meter & connected it to the battery positive terminal & then the ground wire in the headlight connector & I get power. there's 2 unplugged leads inside the headlight housing probably never used & one is hot. I tested that with the ground inside the headlight plug & I also get power. there's 2 red wires that go into the plug with different colored stripes on them obviously for high & low beams & they are totally dead. when I jiggle the high/low beam switch I get nothing. if the switch were corroded I would probably get intermittent operation if anything. the bike sat covered in heated garage for many years so I would think the switch is ok as all other switches work just fine & everything else works fine, but I did discover something today the self cancelling turn signal feature doesn't seem to work. I had 2 other bikes before & that feature on those bikes also didn't work. the 2 red wires that come out of the headlight plug go into a small harness which goes into the dimmer switch & there's other wires that come out of it. it doesn't look like there's any wiring damage between the headlight plug & dimmer switch, but I can't see what's under the fuel tank as they all go under it to the back of the bike.

i'm not sure which blue wire your talking about. there's a solid blue wire inside the housing & then I see part of a blue wire with a white strip running inside a wire loom & then it disappears under the fuel tank.

Last edited by saturnsc2; 08-03-2019 at 10:05 PM.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
Some sellers don't know what's what. That EB part appears to be a brake light outage switch & the wire colors are the same as in the wiring diagram. The switch warns you by flashing to let you know that the brake light isn't working. You can test it by removing the brake light / tail light bulb.

You'll need to check the LH handlebar control switch. There could be corrosion or something broken inside there. From the wiring diagram at the KZ400.com site there is a blue wire from the headlight fuse to the LH handlebar control. The handlebar control has a connector, so you could check for power there. Either unplug the connector & check the blue wire terminal for power or back-probe where the blue wire goes into the connector >> there should be power (Ignition switch ON). If no power, the problem is with the blue wire >> somewhere between the fuse & connector. If you have power at the blue wire terminal, then with connector plugged in, back-probe the red-black wire (low beam I think) & red-yellow (high beam)(Ignition switch ON). I would go ahead & open up the handlebar control to take a look.

I installed that part that looks like a relay & now the red light inside the tach lights up when I use a brake it didn't do that before so I fixed that also. which fuse is for the headlight? when the bike was first brought into my yard & we discovered the headlight wasn't working there was a blown fuse I think the one on the bottom, we replaced it & still no change the headlight still didn't work..... there's a solid blue wire inside the headlight housing is the wire your talking about?

Last edited by saturnsc2; 08-03-2019 at 10:20 PM.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:23 AM
BTK Beginner

Garage
Quote:
well here's my findings today. I took a volt meter & connected it to the battery positive terminal & then the ground wire in the headlight connector & I get power. there's 2 unplugged leads inside the headlight housing probably never used & one is hot. I tested that with the ground inside the headlight plug & I also get power. there's 2 red wires that go into the plug with different colored stripes on them obviously for high & low beams & they are totally dead. when I jiggle the high/low beam switch I get nothing. if the switch were corroded I would probably get intermittent operation if anything. the bike sat covered in heated garage for many years so I would think the switch is ok as all other switches work just fine & everything else works fine, but I did discover something today the self cancelling turn signal feature doesn't seem to work. I had 2 other bikes before & that feature on those bikes also didn't work. the 2 red wires that come out of the headlight plug go into a small harness which goes into the dimmer switch & there's other wires that come out of it. it doesn't look like there's any wiring damage between the headlight plug & dimmer switch, but I can't see what's under the fuel tank as they all go under it to the back of the bike.

i'm not sure which blue wire your talking about. there's a solid blue wire inside the housing & then I see part of a blue wire with a white strip running inside a wire loom & then it disappears under the fuel tank.

The 2 red wires come out of the dimmer switch. The blue power wire goes in. So you're sort of saying we still don't know if there
is power on the blue wire going into the switch?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page