kz440 headlight doesn't work - Page 3 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bille6 View Post
The 2 red wires come out of the dimmer switch. The blue power wire goes in. So you're sort of saying we still don't know if there
is power on the blue wire going into the switch?
the problem is I don't see the blue wire going in the dimmer switch unless I start ripping open the wire loom which I hate to do. if I knew where it goes to maybe I can test it. does it go to the fuse panel somewhere? is it a blue wire with a white stripe I see one nearby that comers out of a wire loom & goes under the fuel tank to the back of the bike

Last edited by saturnsc2; 08-04-2019 at 09:54 AM.
saturnsc2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Member
BTK Beginner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 66
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsc2 View Post
the problem is I don't see the blue wire going in the dimmer switch unless I start ripping open the wire loom which I hate to do. if I knew where it goes to maybe I can test it. does it go to the fuse panel somewhere? is it a blue wire with a white stripe I see one nearby that comers out of a wire loom & goes under the fuel tank to the back of the bike

Do you have a wiring diagram?
bille6 is offline  
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bille6 View Post
Do you have a wiring diagram?
no maybe I should buy one..
saturnsc2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:02 PM
jpd
Member
BTK Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Gloucester, VA. & Manassas VA.
Posts: 41
Garage
I would say yes to the wiring diagram so you can tell what wires are going to the dimmer switch. You can than also check the operation of the dimmer switch with a meter with the connector for the left handle bar disconnected. You will know what wire is the power supply from the fuse to the handle bar connection and if it has power on it with the fuse installed and no power with the headlight fuse removed. An owners manual,service manual and wiring diagrams are a great help when looking for problems on any motorcycle. Before you start ripping wire harness apart you need to use the factory disconnect points and fine out where the wires are not intact.
jpd is offline  
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I would say yes to the wiring diagram so you can tell what wires are going to the dimmer switch. You can than also check the operation of the dimmer switch with a meter with the connector for the left handle bar disconnected. You will know what wire is the power supply from the fuse to the handle bar connection and if it has power on it with the fuse installed and no power with the headlight fuse removed. An owners manual,service manual and wiring diagrams are a great help when looking for problems on any motorcycle. Before you start ripping wire harness apart you need to use the factory disconnect points and fine out where the wires are not intact.
I do see a blue wire with a white strip up front before some other wires exit to the rear & it seems to go to the rh control. there's a solid blue wire inside the headlight housing maybe this is the blue wire they are talking about?
saturnsc2 is offline  
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 227
the guy who sold me the bike did give me a shop manual for a kz400 kz500 & kz550 I wonder if they share wire diagrams?
saturnsc2 is offline  
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:53 PM
jpd
Member
BTK Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Gloucester, VA. & Manassas VA.
Posts: 41
Garage
Start at the l/h grip switch housing and follow the wiring to where ever it goes. Into the headlight or under the tank until you find the disconnect point. The wiring dia. in the manual should be close if not exact. With the connector disconnected you can use a meter to check the wires to the dimmer switch on the switch side and for power from the fuse on the bike side of the connector. Both my 93 Vulcan 750 and my 82 GPZ The wiring disconnect is under the tank along the frame. My GPZ manual shows a blue/white wire to the headlight fuse and then a blue wire to the disconnect then on to the dimmer switch. From the dimmer to the headlight bulb the low beam is red/ yellow and high beam is red/ Black. The ground at the bulb is black/yellow. You will find the black/yellow from most items as it is used as a ground wire color on the bike. You need to check the wires with a ohm. meter not just try to find 12v from the battery.

A common place for wiring to be broken in where the wire runs past the tank forward mount point. If it is not in the correct position the tank will pinch the wires or cut them as the tank is installed.
jpd is offline  
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Start at the l/h grip switch housing and follow the wiring to where ever it goes. Into the headlight or under the tank until you find the disconnect point. The wiring dia. in the manual should be close if not exact. With the connector disconnected you can use a meter to check the wires to the dimmer switch on the switch side and for power from the fuse on the bike side of the connector. Both my 93 Vulcan 750 and my 82 GPZ The wiring disconnect is under the tank along the frame. My GPZ manual shows a blue/white wire to the headlight fuse and then a blue wire to the disconnect then on to the dimmer switch. From the dimmer to the headlight bulb the low beam is red/ yellow and high beam is red/ Black. The ground at the bulb is black/yellow. You will find the black/yellow from most items as it is used as a ground wire color on the bike. You need to check the wires with a ohm. meter not just try to find 12v from the battery.

A common place for wiring to be broken in where the wire runs past the tank forward mount point. If it is not in the correct position the tank will pinch the wires or cut them as the tank is installed.
there's a large connector forward in front of the tank sort of tucked up halfway up the frame. I might be able to reach it & take some readings there. many different colored wires go into it....I bet if I removed the tank all would be exposed & then the problem could be found. I might as well just run the fuel down & then remove the tank which needs cleaning anyway...
saturnsc2 is offline  
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 PM
jpd
Member
BTK Beginner
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Gloucester, VA. & Manassas VA.
Posts: 41
Garage
You should be able to take the tank off with fuel in the tank. Kawasaki uses a vacuum controlled fuel petcock. It should have a run/ reserve/ prime position. No Fuel should run out with it in the run and reserve position unless the engine is running. If it is leaking without the bike running the petcock should be rebuilt or replaced.

With the tank off you should see the wiring connectors. There should be one from the ignition switch also. On the right side of the frame there will be connectors from the right side grip.
jpd is offline  
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
You should be able to take the tank off with fuel in the tank. Kawasaki uses a vacuum controlled fuel petcock. It should have a run/ reserve/ prime position. No Fuel should run out with it in the run and reserve position unless the engine is running. If it is leaking without the bike running the petcock should be rebuilt or replaced.

With the tank off you should see the wiring connectors. There should be one from the ignition switch also. On the right side of the frame there will be connectors from the right side grip.
i'm sure the problem is under the tank. I had an old Kawasaki bike & it had a similar problem. .the problem was a broken wire where the wires bend back & forth while steering. this bike is to unused to have this type of problem I blame someone tampering with it. I know the previous owner installed a stupid win shield moving the turn signals to a different location, so he might have damaged some other wires in the process...
saturnsc2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome