kz440 headlight doesn't work - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 216
kz440 headlight doesn't work

I just bought a prestige 1983 Kawasaki kz440 ltd belt drive bike. it has only 799 certified miles on it. stored in a heated garage for 30 years. just got it today & the headlight doesn't work. no voltage at the connector. bulb works. I had a blown fuse which I replaced, but the same no voltage at connector. everything else works. what can be the problem? I didn't see any disconnected connectors or broken wires inside the headlight housing. is there a relay for this somewhere? if so where?
saturnsc2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Senior Member
BTK Expert
 
martin-csr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,266
There's a wiring diagram at the KZ400.com site >> Technical Tips.
Do not go into the forums as they may harm your computer.

There shouldn't be a relay & the 440D doesn't have a headlight reserve lighting device.

I would check the voltage on both sides of the fuse. Then I would check the handlebar control switch. maybe there's corrosion or something. Also, the headlight may have a pigtail connector, so I would check for power at the bullet terminals. not likely the problem, but you never know or in case someone disconnected them.

....

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
martin-csr is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
There's a wiring diagram at the KZ400.com site >> Technical Tips.
Do not go into the forums as they may harm your computer.

There shouldn't be a relay & the 440D doesn't have a headlight reserve lighting device.

I would check the voltage on both sides of the fuse. Then I would check the handlebar control switch. maybe there's corrosion or something. Also, the headlight may have a pigtail connector, so I would check for power at the bullet terminals. not likely the problem, but you never know or in case someone disconnected them.

....
well I did buy this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-82-KAW...53.m2749.l2649


it's stated to be a headlight relay & I see the same thing on my bike also. the one on my bike looks to be in bad shape. we'll see what it is when it comes in. I checked the fuses & there's power there. I checked numerous connectors inside the headlight bucket & there's power everywhere just not the headlight connector. strange...
saturnsc2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
BTK Expert
 
martin-csr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,266
Some sellers don't know what's what. That EB part appears to be a brake light outage switch & the wire colors are the same as in the wiring diagram. The switch warns you by flashing to let you know that the brake light isn't working. You can test it by removing the brake light / tail light bulb.

You'll need to check the LH handlebar control switch. There could be corrosion or something broken inside there. From the wiring diagram at the KZ400.com site there is a blue wire from the headlight fuse to the LH handlebar control. The handlebar control has a connector, so you could check for power there. Either unplug the connector & check the blue wire terminal for power or back-probe where the blue wire goes into the connector >> there should be power (Ignition switch ON). If no power, the problem is with the blue wire >> somewhere between the fuse & connector. If you have power at the blue wire terminal, then with connector plugged in, back-probe the red-black wire (low beam I think) & red-yellow (high beam)(Ignition switch ON). I would go ahead & open up the handlebar control to take a look.

....

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
martin-csr is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
Some sellers don't know what's what. That EB part appears to be a brake light outage switch & the wire colors are the same as in the wiring diagram. The switch warns you by flashing to let you know that the brake light isn't working. You can test it by removing the brake light / tail light bulb.

You'll need to check the LH handlebar control switch. There could be corrosion or something broken inside there. From the wiring diagram at the KZ400.com site there is a blue wire from the headlight fuse to the LH handlebar control. The handlebar control has a connector, so you could check for power there. Either unplug the connector & check the blue wire terminal for power or back-probe where the blue wire goes into the connector >> there should be power (Ignition switch ON). If no power, the problem is with the blue wire >> somewhere between the fuse & connector. If you have power at the blue wire terminal, then with connector plugged in, back-probe the red-black wire (low beam I think) & red-yellow (high beam)(Ignition switch ON). I would go ahead & open up the handlebar control to take a look.

....
my left hand switch is a dimmer switch no on & off switch as lights are always on. I have power at the fuse block & a lot of connectors inside the headlight bucket have power as well, just not the headlight connector. my bike's a kz440 ltd not a kz400...
saturnsc2 is offline  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 AM
Member
BTK Beginner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 66
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsc2 View Post
my left hand switch is a dimmer switch no on & off switch as lights are always on. I have power at the fuse block & a lot of connectors inside the headlight bucket have power as well, just not the headlight connector. my bike's a kz440 ltd not a kz400...

Most Kawasakis from that era have the blue power wire going into the left hand control where, depending on the hi/lo position of the dimmer, it is routed to the bulb connector on a red/yellow or red/black . Have you been able to check and see if the blue wire has power? Also- has the ground wire at the headlight plug been checked for continuity to the frame or battery? (sorry if I missed a previous post detailing any of these).


b
bille6 is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bille6 View Post
Most Kawasakis from that era have the blue power wire going into the left hand control where, depending on the hi/lo position of the dimmer, it is routed to the bulb connector on a red/yellow or red/black . Have you been able to check and see if the blue wire has power? Also- has the ground wire at the headlight plug been checked for continuity to the frame or battery? (sorry if I missed a previous post detailing any of these).


b
to tell ya the truth I just got the bike on monday. it was kept in a heated garage covered for 30 years owned by a woman. it only has 799 miles on it. all the switches are tight & new looking. I did put a volt meter on the headlight plug & it's dead. many plugs inside the headlight bucket have power. I thought I did test a blue inside the headlight housing & it did have power which might indicate the ground just is bad. the ground wire makes sense could be dirty. all other lights including the turn signals come on with the key. the front signals stay on & all do blink & the tail light & brake light works. I will look at it this weekend & print out these suggestions. thanks!


if I can't figure this thing out the bike needs front fork service one leaks oil so I just might to let them figure it out but I will make an effort to figure it out myself...


the bike being so old needs the typical stuff like many various rubber grommets & bushings since they are dry rotted & crumbling....
saturnsc2 is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:21 PM
Member
BTK Beginner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 66
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsc2 View Post
to tell ya the truth I just got the bike on monday. it was kept in a heated garage covered for 30 years owned by a woman. it only has 799 miles on it. all the switches are tight & new looking. I did put a volt meter on the headlight plug & it's dead. many plugs inside the headlight bucket have power. I thought I did test a blue inside the headlight housing & it did have power which might indicate the ground just is bad. the ground wire makes sense could be dirty. all other lights including the turn signals come on with the key. the front signals stay on & all do blink & the tail light & brake light works. I will look at it this weekend & print out these suggestions. thanks!


if I can't figure this thing out the bike needs front fork service one leaks oil so I just might to let them figure it out but I will make an effort to figure it out myself...


the bike being so old needs the typical stuff like many various rubber grommets & bushings since they are dry rotted & crumbling....



Probably worth fixing if for nothing else just the learning experience- good luck and let us know what your find!
bille6 is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
BTK Intermediate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bille6 View Post
Probably worth fixing if for nothing else just the learning experience- good luck and let us know what your find!
oh yeah! I want the light to work seeing it's a safety issue also. I think cars see you better with them on...
saturnsc2 is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
BTK Expert
 
martin-csr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,266
By saturnsc2: my left hand switch is a dimmer switch no on & off switch as lights are always on. I have power at the fuse block & a lot of connectors inside the headlight bucket have power as well, just not the headlight connector. my bike's a kz440 ltd not a kz400...

The 400 site has a wiring diagram for your bike. You say there's power to the blue wire. Test for power at the other headlight wires in the headlight bucket: red-yellow (low beam) & red-black (hi-beam) have bullet terminals & are not routed into a plastic connector (my mistake). Toggle the hi-beam switch to check the high beam.

...

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
martin-csr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome