slight rust in fuel tank - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

slight rust in fuel tank

I just noticed on my kz440ltd when I opened the fuel cap for the first time a slight coating of rust on the surface under the filler neck. it's just so very slight to the point it rubs off my finger. is anybody here aware of any kind of solvent/additive I can add to the fuel tank to slowly dissolve this coating? I'm talking about something I can just add to the gas to slowly clean out the tank while I ride. it's not nowhere near necessary to remove the tank for this. I can almost leave it alone really....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:58 PM
BTK Expert

Keep it filled and ride it a lot and the rust will be washed away by the gasoline I'm sure. Install a filter in the fuel line between the tank and the carbs.

You can drain the tank and fill it with this stuff to clean off the rust if you want.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

1985 Kawasaki ZN700 Shaft, 4cyl
1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner322 View Post
Keep it filled and ride it a lot and the rust will be washed away by the gasoline I'm sure. Install a filter in the fuel line between the tank and the carbs.

You can drain the tank and fill it with this stuff to clean off the rust if you want.

the metal's just a rusty color no heavy rust ot scaling. it probably will do the trick to just fill it & ride. the fuel tap has a screen in it I believe to catch any debris...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:51 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsc2 View Post
the metal's just a rusty color no heavy rust ot scaling. it probably will do the trick to just fill it & ride. the fuel tap has a screen in it I believe to catch any debris...
A fuel filter will filter much better. Just make sure it is free flowing so it won't starve the engine at high rpm. One of the first things I did to my ZN700 was to install a filter.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
A fuel filter will filter much better. Just make sure it is free flowing so it won't starve the engine at high rpm. One of the first things I did to my ZN700 was to install a filter.
I looked into the gas tank yesterday with a bright flashlight for the first time & I did see some accumulation on the bottoms. I'm not sure if it's rust or some other kind of accumulation. it almost looks like something else. does gas leave deposits after a long time? this bike sat in a heated garage covered for 30 years....I can't see how the tank could rust on the bottom which is covered by gas all the time...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:18 PM
BTK Expert

My ZN was 24 yrs old with only 1k miles on it when I bought it. I removed the tank, sloshed the gas around and poured it out filtering it through a shop towel. Then I poured the gas back in and repeated the filtering. And added the gas line filter.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
My ZN was 24 yrs old with only 1k miles on it when I bought it. I removed the tank, sloshed the gas around and poured it out filtering it through a shop towel. Then I poured the gas back in and repeated the filtering. And added the gas line filter.
did it have rust/debris at the bottom of the tank as well? did this take care of it? the valve on this bike if I remove the hose it shouldn't leak right as it one of those vacuum valves correct?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:

how well does this work? does it clean the crud of the bottom as well?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:08 PM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsc2 View Post
how well does this work? does it clean the crud of the bottom as well?
I haven't used it but a member on the venture forum uses it when he restore old bikes and he was the one who recommended it.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
I haven't used it but a member on the venture forum uses it when he restore old bikes and he was the one who recommended it.
I was watching videos on youtube with people using this stuff & it looks impressive. maybe i will give it a shot...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page