self cancelling turn signals don't work - Page 2 - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:34 AM
BTK Expert

cont'd. the two turn signal operating switches could be the same except for the connectors. If necessary, you could swap connectors to mate the replacement part to your wire harness. Whenever Kawasaki made any change, however insignificant, a new part number would be assigned to the part. The old Kawasaki site had supersession info, but alas, no more.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-csr View Post
The little module is called a distance sensor in the 750-4 manual & I don't think it is a replaceable part. There is a procedure in the 750-4 pdf manual for checking the automatic turn signal system, including specific tests for the distance sensor. The 440 probably operates the same. You should do the tests to identify the problem, before buying any parts. If the distance sensor is defective, you would have to replace the speedometer as the sensor isn't available separately. I wouldn't buy a used speedo hoping that the distance sensor is good. assuming that's the problem.

As for the two different part numbers, you should remove your turn signal operating switch to identify which one you have or at the least see what connector it has. I would remove it & also compare the wire colors & do the tests to avoid buying unneeded parts.
I thought you would have to replace the speedometer if that part is bad I read somewhere. I did in fact (after I bought the part) look at my bike & it looks to be the same part. I didn't realize there was in fact 2 different modules until after the fact, but it is the right one. I wonder why there would be 2 different parts for the same thing? both parts were listed for my model & I checked it out several times before placing the order. anyway this part is mounted low on the bike in front of the right side cover & it looks like it takes abuse from road debris. I'm replacing the part that's the most probable cause of the problem. if I'm wrong that's it I won't further waste anymore time to fix this as it's really no bid deal to manually cancel the turn signals. I have to remove the fuel tank to clean it out & my headlight doesn't work so I will be able to get at any wiring with the tank removed to try to figure out the problem & would be able to check out the connections under the tank for both the turn signals & headlight as well. I really need a good manual for this bike, but it seems everywhere I look I see manuals for different year bikes.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
cont'd. the two turn signal operating switches could be the same except for the connectors. If necessary, you could swap connectors to mate the replacement part to your wire harness. Whenever Kawasaki made any change, however insignificant, a new part number would be assigned to the part. The old Kawasaki site had supersession info, but alas, no more.

I wish I had a good source for info like this but I keep seeing so much contradictory info posted everywhere..... anyway the gamble worked out as it's the same part. I have some new parts to install on the bike this weekend. will keep posted on if this worked or not....

it's like I'm working on this bike blindfolded because I have no idea what this is for & what that's for. I don't even know what fuses to use on the bike as one was blown when I first bought the bike & I replaced it without knowing if I installed the right one. what's strange is when the fuse was blown vs after it was replaced everything on the bike seems to work the same no noticeable differences....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 AM
BTK Expert

There really isn't a one stop source for stuff like this. As for the two part numbers, I checked a couple of wiring diagrams & one turn signal operating unit has 6 wires, while another has 8, hence the different part numbers. The unit with 8 wires has the 2 speed sensor wires separate from the main pigtail. The way the system is engaged using the handlebar controls may be different with the 6-wire unit, so instead of Auto/Manual, it may just have ON/OFF. or something like that.

1981 KZ650-CSR. Competition, Sports & Road.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
BTK Intermediate

Quote:
There really isn't a one stop source for stuff like this. As for the two part numbers, I checked a couple of wiring diagrams & one turn signal operating unit has 6 wires, while another has 8, hence the different part numbers. The unit with 8 wires has the 2 speed sensor wires separate from the main pigtail. The way the system is engaged using the handlebar controls may be different with the 6-wire unit, so instead of Auto/Manual, it may just have ON/OFF. or something like that.

I installed the new switch had to remove the battery box to get at it. I have not rode the bike yet to see if it fixed the problem or not. on the left hand side control there's a box that is under the control is this the solenoid that actually cancels the turn signal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page