Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

77 KZ Float

739 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hugojose 
#1 ·
I’ve been having issues with my bike running rough. I rode it into work last week an noticed it dumping gas from the left inboard carburetor. Figuring I had something holding the float open, I removed and disassembled the carbs. Upon checking the floats I noticed that 3 of the felt like hard plastic while the one that was leaking felt spongy. Just out of curiosity I switched that one to the left outboard carburetor. The leaking stopped but the bike bucks and backfires profusely. I believe the spongy float is the issue. The normal float weighs 9.5 grams and the spongy one weighs 11.18 grams. I don’t know if the material,is different from the others or it is degrading from age and ethanol fuel. The other problem is that the only replacement I can find is an OEM one for $100. If I knew it would solve the problem I would go ahead and get it. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

#3 ·
They are Mikunis I believe. I tried ebay. The aftermarket floats only go back to the 80-81 KZs which are different. The local Kawasaki dealer checked as well and all they can find are the OEM ones for $100 each. I pulled the plugs this evening and three of them were pretty fouled. I cleaned all of them and it seems to run pretty well now. Still curious why the one float appears to be made of different material.

#4 ·
Why don't you give folks a chance to help by mentioning the bike's year and model? Both Mikuni and Keihin carb assemblies have the manufacture name on the side and knowing the year and model would help pinpoint which float is being discussed. Both manufacturers used phenolic (not sure of spelling) injection molded type of plastic for the float bodies and these can be had on eBay relatively cheaply. I have never heard of any float costing $100 OEM.

#5 ·
wiredgeorge,

They are Mikuni. The bike is a 1977 KZ 1000 LTD (B series). I could not find any after market ones to fit it on ebay. The dealer, with whom I've done a lot of business with, even getting me after market parts for the master cylinder kits, could find no aftermarket parts either. He told me all he could find were the OEM ones. I would more than happy if you find some cheaper ones. Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.