Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Removeing oil from 1979kz ltd 1000

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  WFO-KZ 
#1 ·
Have anyone ever used a have anyone ever tried to remove oil with a pneumatic or manual evacuator unit let me know thanks

#2 ·
I would not change oil with an extractor. First it will be difficult if not impossible to thread the extractor tube past the clutch and shafts to get to the bottom of the crankcase. And how would you know if you reached bottom? Is there a reason why you don't want to use the drain plug?

#4 ·
You are right it not a lot of room get it out that why I was wondering it was possible go that route.i also see what was said about reaching The bottom of the oil pan. I just don't want to pull that pan . I have not inside that clutch housing any idea?

#5 ·
If you can not remove the oil pan plug, are you going to do this every time the oil is changed?? Gravity is the most trouble-free, easiest method when thing have to go down.

Removing the oil pan is rather easy, what is tedious is scraping the gasket residues from mating surfaces.

#6 ·
By TOP: You are right it not a lot of room get it out that why I was wondering it was possible go that route. Ialso see what was said about reaching The bottom of the oil pan. I just don't want to pull that pan. I have not inside that clutch housing any idea?

I don't know what you mean by that last sentence. Can you use vice grips on the drain plug? If necessary, you could use a file or hacksaw or something to shape the drain plug head. Also, for easier access, put the motorcycle on the side stand, then put it back on the center stand to drain the oil after loosening it. And I agree with Hugojose, plus draining the oil probably removes more of the yucky stuff at the bottom if there is some of that.

#7 ·
Fixing the drain plug is the proper way to go even if it seems like a lot of work. You may want to consider removing the battery and fuel tank so the bike can be laid on its side giving better access and visibility to the bottom of the engine.

The other option is to remove the exhaust system but in most cases with careful planning and the right tools you should be able to remove the plug without the above measures. Some good advice has already been provided on how to do that.

If access is so restricted that you cannot get vice grips on it, then you might try a basin wrench (see link). Once the basin wrench is fixed onto the plug, you may need to clamp vice grips onto the end of the handle for extra leverage.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...jWzISIIz8aAqt6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=254

#10 ·
Can you post a pic of the drain plug? As mentioned above, you may need to file or dremel the sides of it or something so that you can get a grip on it. Also, make sure to turn it in the correct direction. some guys get it backwards since the drain plug is kind of upside down.

#11 ·
+1 on making sure you are turning in the correct direction. The drain plug should not be super tight. If you can get two flats ground on the plug then a crow's foot wrench will be able to get into the tight space you have to work in.

Another alternative that would not involve filing or grinding is to buy an extractor socket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.