Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

KZ Owners

166K views 864 replies 386 participants last post by  easternbiker07@aim.com 
#1 ·
I've noticed there are alot of folks here who have or are interested in KZs.

So I was wondering just how many KZ people are here.

Me, I have a 1982 KZ305A.

See pics below

The first one is more recent after some cosmetic repairs, duct taped the seat and got sidecovers.

The 2nd is older, before cosmetic repairs...

See less See more
#17 ·
Z1000j1

Can anyone tell me whether the 1981 Z1000J1 model had a mechanical speedo cable or did it have one of those electronic speedo sensors fitted instead?

How would I be able to by looking at the back of the gauges? If it was mechanical - would there be a cable coming out of the back of centre of the speedo housing?

Any info would be a help. I am not very mechanically skilled so bear that in mind.

Thanks in advance.

ps. I think the USA models had frame numbers starting with JKAKZCJ14BA000001 onwards and Engine number KZT00JE-000001 onwards.

#20 ·
ejshotgun said:
FrontWheelBreakdown
Meters(not very clear)
It appears (according to my manual which covers the '81model) that you have a mechanical speedo. If in fact you do then it will have a cable coming out of the back of your speedo that goes to the front wheel.
The above links are from BikeBandit .
Thanks very much for your reply and the links.
The speedo housing on mine does not have a cable coming out of the back of it at the centre but any cabling going in/out is tucked in right at the bottom back almost out of site. The same for the tach meter housing. I have two brake lines going down to the brake discs (from the brake fluid reservoir) and one thinner cable going down the left hand side to the hub also. This is clipped to the LH brakeline cable. It goes up into the rear of the headlamp housing. If it did have a mechanical cable - would it come out of the centre like bicycle speedos?

Thanks again for your help.

#21 ·
If you have the mechanical drive it connects to a cable just under the left brake caliper and goes directly up to the speedometer. The cable has knurled cable nuts at each end just like a bicycle speedo. The ones on my 1981 KZ1000 and 1983 KZ550 look identical but I haven't checked part numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.