Stop sign - "except right turn" - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Stop sign - "except right turn"

I have learned that Pennsylvania likes to put a small sign below a STOP sign that says "except for right turns." When I first moved here 16 years ago I stopped at a sign (I was in a cage) and noticed the driver coming from the right also had a Stop sign. I pulled out going straight and the next thing I know it's on my a$$ and horn blaring. They were only slowing to make a right turn through the Stop sign.

I couldn't figure that one out for a while.

I think that if the State is going to do that then they should put a sign on the other sign that warns you of that fact or stop the practice. I have since learned to look for that little rectangle sign below Stop signs from other directions.

Now-a-days - if an approaching vehicle is close enough to hit me if it does not stop - I wait until they do stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:25 PM
TV Guru

The idea is, to allow as much traffic to flow through a T or Y intersection as possible. Here's how it works:

Basically, the traffic headed from the lower leg into the T often does not have a stop sign. The right and left side does, but the left arm can turn right without stopping since opposing traffic has to stop. Depending on visibility, the lower leg entering may have a stop sign, but not often.

1983 Honda Nighthawk 550
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I can understand that - but my concern is how does the person coming from the left and planning on going straight (in your diagram) know that the person from the bottom is not going to stop if he is planning on making a right? You see the back of an octagonal sign pointed in their direction. I guess you have to look for the little rectangle one as well. Just saying... There was a time I was unaware of this kind oif set-up.

Locals know the situation... but pity the guy just passing through. There ought to be a warning - but how do you word it? Traffic from the right may/may not stop... might/might not have the right of way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 PM
BTK Beginner

That's crazy and a good way to get someone hurt. In Va. you can turn right on red. But you have to stop first. Treating it any other way would be like treating it as a yield sign.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 PM
TV Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Mechanic View Post
I can understand that - but my concern is how does the person coming from the left and planning on going straight (in your diagram) know that the person from the bottom is not going to stop if he is planning on making a right? You see the back of an octagonal sign pointed in their direction. I guess you have to look for the little rectangle one as well. Just saying... There was a time I was unaware of this kind oif set-up.

Locals know the situation... but pity the guy just passing through. There ought to be a warning - but how do you word it? Traffic from the right may/may not stop... might/might not have the right of way?
That's pretty much an issue with all traffic laws: the states create their own.

So, in Washington DC and a few other places, traffic inside a traffic circle yields to traffic entering, while nearly everywhere else it's the opposite.

Around here, we have streets where the left turn lane in one direction and the right turn lane in the opposite both get green arrows to turn onto a two lane street. While in theory, both can turn into their proper lanes and go on their merry way. Unfortunately, 1) one of those lanes eventually becomes right turn only and 2) most people assume an arrow means you are the only one allowed to make that turn. Guess how often people get cut off?

Up near the local hospital, they didn't bother with left turn arrows. Instead, each of the 4 points of the intersection (which all line up, by the way) get released separately. If you're local, you know you can just make your left on a regular green because opposing traffic has a red light. If you're not (and perhaps desperate to get to the hospital) you might find yourself sitting there waiting for oncoming traffic while the people behind you are getting ticked off at you.

It's funny how the feds constantly want to interject themselves into our lives on silly stuff, but things like driving is left up to the individual states so we can all meet up in fiery crashes at the borders when someone isn't used to yielding where they come from.

1983 Honda Nighthawk 550
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Politicians' Nightmare
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRider View Post
The idea is, to allow as much traffic to flow through a T or Y intersection as possible. Here's how it works:

Basically, the traffic headed from the lower leg into the T often does not have a stop sign. The right and left side does, but the left arm can turn right without stopping since opposing traffic has to stop. Depending on visibility, the lower leg entering may have a stop sign, but not often.
Looks like it's potentially almost as bad as traffic roundabouts in France!

Jim
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Re: Stop sign - "except right turn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
Extremely stupid traffic law. I am from Virginia and was traveling through Pennslyvania and almost got in to an accident due to this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 AM
BTK Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
i'd say that stopsign rule is way more dangerous!
especially if other people can't see the (except turning right) part of the sign, so are left thinking that they will be coming to a complete stop.

roundabouts are easy. (and good fun on a bike, if they're empty!)
the rules are simple... always give way to oncoming traffic already on the rounabout. ... that's it.

if it's clear to go, go.
they're designed to keep traffic flowing freely and avoid queues that traffic lights/stop signs create.

you get into trouble when people are driving in the direction/lane to turn off, but don't, and end up driving into someone pulling onto the roundabout who thought that they were going to turn off....
...or people who try and cut across other cars to leave the roundabout when they're in the wrong position to do so.
otherwise they're a great traffic tool

Steve
'04 Honda CBR 600RR
'07 Kawasaki VN900 Custom (SOLD)
IBA #40198
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Politicians' Nightmare
BTK Expert

Roundabouts in the U.K work great because traffic already in the roundabout has the right of way, keeps traffic moving But when we lived there some, although relatively few, drivers didn't follow the roundabout rules. I prefer U.K.-type roundabouts over stop signs. In France traffic entering the roundabout has the right of way, so when lots of people try to enter the roundabout all of the traffic comes to a halt and there is lots of stop-and-go jostling about until things finally get sorted out.

Jim
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page