Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this might be a long story but I'll try to make it as short as possible, I have a 2001 1500 Nomad with around 31k miles on it, a few weeks back I felt the clutch slipping here and there, i honestly never put alot of thought into it as I thought that maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but that was not the case, I live in central Iowa and about a week and a half ago I decided to make the first long trip of the season and I headed down to Missouri. I went just across the state line and stopped off at a gas station and decided to stop there for a bit and then head back home, well thats when the problem started, I got back into iowa and it really felt like the clutch was slipping, not too long after that I had absolutely no power to the drive train at all, the motor was running fine but just simply would not go anywhere, it left me stranded on the side of the interstate for about an hour till I got a truck down and I hauled it home, I did a little research on my own and figured it had to be the infamous clutch spring and ultimately tore the bike down, the clutch spring was JUNK! the clutch plates were fine but I also noticed that the Clutch master cylinder on the handle bar was broke (casting broke on the bottom side that held the lever on), I replaced that first and bled out the line (or thought I did???) with new fluid, today I replaced the clutch spring and the 3 limiter springs, After re-assembling the bike I started it up and put the bike in gear, it moves, yay, BUT I am still having and issue, I am not sure entirely sure what is going on which is why I just joined these forums and figured I would ask. It does not seem like there is very much pressure behind the clutch lever? I pull the lever and its still really soft and for the VERY short ride I took it on it seems like it is stuck in the friction zone, so my question is, do you think that there still may be air in the line?? will that cause what I am explaining?? I know I put all the springs in correct, I double checked )() then clutch spring... everything went back together real smooth when doing the clutch sping and the 3 limiters and I am positive that is not the issue here, yesterday before I put the springs in, it wouldn't move at all, now after, it moves but its still having some issues..... Any thoughts? I am open to just about any explanation and I have already done as much this far so its not going to hurt my feelings if I have to tear it down again, I am open to any constructive criticism you may have. Thanks in advance

Bob Kite

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
If you "pump" the clutch lever in and out rapidly about 6 times, does it seem to get harder to pull? If so, there still is air in the system. Also, check that the two ports in the master cylinder are not plugged with gunk. You can see them if you take the top cover off and look down inside.

Post back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I vote you still have air in the line. Hydraulic clutches are usually more of pita to bleed , than brake lines.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts