Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Its time to rebuild my 01 kx250. So i removed the cylinder and there is some scoring. I got on motosport and found the oversized pistons and decided to go into my service manual. It stated that if the measurements exceed the service limit, the cylinder must be replaced with a new one since the electro fusion cylinder cannot be bored or honed.

Well im a little confused. Does this mean i need a new cylinder? Im a little confused on where to go from here since my pocket book is tight.

Please help!! The warm weather is here and im craving my bike like a crackhead craves crack!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, rebuilt my '93 KX250 over the last winter, and you cannot rebore the standard cylinder as the nicosil coating that is the wearing surface is too thin to rebore, a local company to me (PJ Engineering in UK) advertises on Ebay for fitting a new custom made liner to the bore and reboring back to manufacturers standards complete with new piston,rings and gasket set for just under £200, best of all this liner can be rebored in the future and so the next rebuilds are cheaper. Since the work has been done engine runs like new and embaresses many newer bikes. You should be able to find a local company to you to have this work done and then you can feed that habit again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply. Ok so a sleeve kit and ill be good to go? Right on, that is very relieving. After reading that it couldnt be bored, by confidence dropped a little. So does anyone know where to find a sleeve kit? I found some on ebay, but id like to stay away from the chance of getting a low quality product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Again, sorry if I didnt make it clear before but its not actually a kit as such, they take your barrel, bore it out, then machine a new liner from a solid billet to fit, they fit it and match all the ports so that the barrel is returned back to you ready to fit with the parts that they supply, I think some companies do a similar job with an off the shelf liner but this would still require some work in the machine shop.As I said PJ engineering did an excelent job on mine and its had no problems since it was rebuilt,if you look on ebay UK for them they have a good write up on what they actualy do. Hope you get back in the mud soon.......we need more KXs on the tracks to show these orange and black bikes were not a spent force.

·
Dirt Bike Dad
144 Posts
Where are you located?
This may help us to find you a good company that does quality work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in cheyenne Wyoming. I took my cylinder to the local kawi dealer and they had it sent off to a company to be coated and sized for a wiseco piston. I'm not sure as to the name of the company yet but ill post it when I find out. They quoted me around $210 for the services done on the cylinder.

I decided to just go ahead and do the the bottom end while I was at it and went ahead and ordered the wiseco bottom end kit and needle bearing. I have the fsm but it will be my first time splitting a dirt bike engine. Does anyone have any tips or homemade tool tips or ideas? I'm mechanically inclined, but I'd rather go into it with a loaded gun if you know what I mean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts